• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Failure to use due care......no contest??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sidoux

What is the name of your state? West Virginia accident. Pennsylvania resident.
I was in a single vehicle accident in a company vehicle in West Virginia. After making sure I was OK, the state trooper that responded told me that he had to cite me or he wouldn't be doing his job. He cited me for failure to use due care, WV code 17C-6-1. I was not speeding at the time, actually was 5-10 miles below the posted speed limit. I came into an unmarked curve and hit some large chunky gravel on the side of the road causing me to severely skid thus resulting in the accident.
Now I have to decide how to plead to this ticket. If I plead Not Guilty, I don't know of any reason to give the judge and it would be prohibitively expensive. If I plead Guilty, it may cause me to lose my job as I will have been convicted of a driving misdemeanor. The back of the ticket lists a No Contest plea as an option but I'm not sure what effect that will have on my record. I'm quite simply confused and scared. Any suggestions???

sidoux said:
I came into an unmarked curve and hit some large chunky gravel on the side of the road. Any suggestions???
A: Drive on the road!!!!! In most places, driving "on the side of the road" could be considered "without due care".

mometal77

hi

I am in washington state i view these posts off and on and had to say something about this. A lady a while back near me was involved in basically the same thing. Her bf was riding a motorcycle she was on the back and went around a corner the county was working on and tore down the curve sign and speed limit sign for the curve. She got over a million dollars from the county. I would take a pic of the curve develope give it to the judge it is the countys responsibility to keep the roads clear. I dont know did you go off off the road but take a pic or both sides of the curve. With me i have a class a cdl and see this stuff every day.
bobby

sidoux

It could cost me my job because I travel for a living and any traffic offense is potential grounds for termination with the company. I have opted for not guilty and have found myself local representation. Thank you to those of you who tried to give me genuine help. Just a warning to those of you driving in West Virginia.......apparently having a single vehicle Accident without injury is a criminal offense in the eyes of some state troopers.....be careful!

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">