• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

failure to yeild resulting in accident

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mollylaa

What is the name of your state? Wisconsin

The night before thanksgiving, I was run into by some teenagers while trying to drive across an intersection. I had a stop sign, and the cross street did not. The street I was crossing is 2 lanes, 1 in each direction. Traffic to my left (eastbound) was not coming, due to a light one block down. Traffic to my right (westbound) was backed up for several blocks due to the same light. Someone stopped in the westbound lane leaving the intersection clear so that I could go through. There were 3 or 4 other cars that stopped behind him in the westbound lane; they couldn't progress down the street anyway because of the red light one block down. I stopped at the stop sign and then proceeded through the intersection, as westbound traffic had stopped to allow. Then these kids went around the stopped traffic in the westbound lane on the right and sped through the intersection in a parking lane. They ran into me and totaled my car. I couldn't see them coming until the last second because of the stopped cars in the westbound lane, and I was almost completely through the intersection when they hit me.

The cops came and they gave me a ticket for failure to yeild at an uncontrolled intersection. My insurance company also agrees that the majority of the fault is mine. This will cost me 4 points on my license and an $80 fee. I'm not worried about the fee, but I've never had a moving violation before and feel it is unfair to be held completely accountable for the accident as it was the other people who ran into me and they were driving too fast in a lane not meant for moving traffic. I stopped and yielded to the traffic in the eastbound and westbound lanes of the street- the only two lanes of traffic. The cops said they "didn't know" whether they were going to give the other driver a ticket or not, because they had to go back and check the official law. Do I have a case if I go to court? Can I argue this down to a lesser offense? What can I do to help plead my case to a judge?

Thanks.

Hey There

Information To Help You Decide What To Do

12-11-07

Mollylaa,

If you type in __(Discovery for Traffic Ticket)__on a Google Search, information on how to obtain a copy of the officers' notes, and information that would be used in court is given.
How to obtain a copy of the officer's notes is also described in a book published by NOLO on beating traffic tickets, which should be available at a local library.
At Google, by typing in Help! I Got A Ticket!, a description of how to deal with a traffic ticket gives concise steps from requesting Discovery thru trial and appeal.A form requesting Discovery can be downloaded.
If Discovery isn't available or restricted in Wisconsin, or a time limit has been set that has been missed, another option to obtain the information is to file a Request for Public Records on information pertaining to your case.
Another website on Google Search is:
(Speeding Ticket--Fighting or Plea Bargaining)--Clicking on
(Table of Contents at the bottom of each page )will give a complete description of preparing for trial, basic rights, discovery, time in court, raising objections,cross-examing the officer. Although the questions refer to speeding specifically, the questions give a framework of how to ask questions of the officer in court.
(1) If a case has been transferred under s. 800.04 (1) (d), or IF in circuit court either party files a written demand for a jury trial within 10 days AFTER the defendant enters a plea of not guilty under s. 345.3 and immediately pays the fee prescribed in s. 814.61 (4), the court shall place the case on the jury calendar of the circuit court. The number of jurors shall be 6. If no party demands a trial by jury, the right to trial by jury is permanently waived, or as stated in the book on beating a traffic ticket published by NOLO ,a jury trial is a yes with a written demand and payment of a fee.
will lead you to the following website:
Wisconsin statutes - Wisconsin Department of Transportation Wisconsin statutes arranged by transportation topic, hosted by the Wisconsin ... Vehicles-civil and criminal liability (chapter 345) Discovery rules are listed under 345.421.
Appeal for a new trial if ruled against, must be requested.

Regards,
Hey There

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">