• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Failure to Yield is on a Criminal Record?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LinxUs

What is the name of your state? WI

In 2001, I was issued a ticket for failing the yield at a T cross section. I put the ticket away, left on vacation, forgot about the ticket and 30 days later (possibly it was 60 days later), I recieved a court summons regarding the incident.

It was one of those large line things where everyone is in and out in a few minutes. Basically you meet with the county prosecutor. I met with him, said I was absolutely shocked I would have to appear in court regarding a traffic violation. He said, well you can just pay it now and not worry about it, If you plead guilty it will be removed from your record, I think he said 3 years or possibly 7 years. I think that was the plea deal.

In any case, I just looked my name up for fun and noticed it was on my 'criminal record'. Never had anything prior or after that. In my opinion is pretty rediculous that this petty misdemeanor even needs to be on there. Do I have any recourse for this?

racer72

I would guess a failure to appear is the reason for the record, not the traffic ticket itself. That in itself is a criminal offense.

LinxUs

Response

Not at all. However, I didn't steal anything, no one was injured and the incident took place in the middle of nowhere, that to be honest, no one was affected by the action. This isn't a DUI, or hitting someone with the car.

I think the ticket was like $25.00. Since no one was affected by my actions and I was a minor during the incident (I was 16), I just feel the punishment doesn't fit the 'crime'.

Since this is more than 7 years ago, and I believe I had a plea deal with the prosecutor to have it removed from my 'record' after 3 years and its still there, can I go to the county courthouse and talk to the currect county prosecutor, or appear before a judge to request it taken off? Or petition it, or whatever.

Again, I've had nohing before that, and nothing after this. Its the only mark on there. The State Legislature doesn't need to rework its laws around me. But a 'criminal' record for something that involves less than 15 MPH, on a dirt road (middle of nowhere).

Although, I believe the laws apply everywhere, but surely a speeder or someone running a red light is in a far more serious position of injuring someone as opposed to a 16 year old who just started driving and didn't come to a full stop at a T section.

LinxUs

Response

I got sidetracked in my response above. The record doesn't say 'FAILURE TO APPEAR' or anything regarding paying the ticket just about the 'FAILURE TO YIELD AT A T CROSSING' under Moving vehicles statues of WI.

Can I petition to have this removed? Can I go before a judge? Can I talk to the county prosecutor? To be honest, I think there's more serious 'criminals' out there that need a rap sheet than some then-16 year old.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">