• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Failure to yield to an emergency vehicle

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jrsb_19

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington

I was pulled over for speeding going down a road that changes from 65 to 35 and right after the speed change i was clocked doing a 52 in a 35 i was in the left lane the cop came up behind me and flipped his lights. Its a very busy road and i didnt want to disrupt traffic by pulling over to the side of the road and i was in the left lane alread and there were no forseeable spots to pull over i took a left at the next intersection and pulled over to the right side of the road. The officer then told me i was getting a ticket for speeding as well as not yeilding to an emergency vehicle which is a $1000 fine. I dont plan on arguing the speeding ticket but the failure to yeild i was hoping to get dropped. Does what happened actually fall under failure to yeild or was the cop being a dick and ticketing me for whatever he could, not to add it was september 30th, end of the month.

any help, comments or arguments that i can use when i go to see the judge would be greatly aprreciatedWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

seniorjudge

Tell us the statute number on the failure to yield.

If the turn was shortly after the lights came on, I can't see the problem (IF everything was as you say).

BUT we need more facts, details, info.

jrsb_19

thanks for the reply

46.61.210 "failure to yield right of way to an emergency vehicle"
1) Upon the immediate approach of an authorized emergency vehicle making use of audible and visual signals meeting the requirements of RCW 46.37.190, or of a police vehicle properly and lawfully making use of an audible signal only the driver of every other vehicle shall yield the right-of-way and shall immediately drive to a position parallel to, and as close as possible to, the right-hand edge or curb of the roadway clear of any intersection and shall stop and remain in such position until the authorized emergency vehicle has passed, except when otherwise directed by a police officer.

which if i understand correctly is yielding for a vehicle trying to pass you, which is not was happening in this situation as he was pulling me over

when i made the left to the side street it had to have been no more then a 1/4 mile from where he hit the lights, possibly an 1/8 of a mile.

everything i stated is exactly how it happened it was a very brief encounter he flipped his lights i pulled over and practically had the ticket written out when he came to the car. i was not rude, impolite or argumentative in anyway
he didnt even ask me if i was aware whyi was being pulled over he jsut said " im giving you a ticket for 52 in a 35 and for failure to yield to an emergency vehicle" to which i responded with "what thats for" and he said " washington state law requires that you pull to the right side of the road"

im not one to argue things if i was speeding then ill pay the ticket but i feel like im getting the raw end of the deal on this one

Last edited:

seniorjudge

how do i go about doing that
Find out who the prosecutor is.

Ask to speak to him before court.

If that doesn't work, then talk to him the day of court.

Go to the courthouse and very politely and nicely ask the court clerk who the prosecutor is who's handling your case.

jrsb_19

Am i misunderstanding the law or is that not referring to vehicles trying to pass. The officer made it seem that the illegal thing that i did was make the left turn to the side street. As far as you know is that legal?

seniorjudge

Am i misunderstanding the law or is that not referring to vehicles trying to pass. The officer made it seem that the illegal thing that i did was make the left turn to the side street. As far as you know is that legal?
That statute is poorly written; I couldn't tell you what it says. It doesn't even cover your situation.

So print the statute and ask the prosecutor real nice how you violated it:

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=46.61.210

Hey There

Information is just a click away.

Google:
Washinton court rules for traffic tickets
and click on websites on first page
Time limits are inportant.

Google:
Speeding Ticket--Fighting or Plea Bargaining
Speeding Ticket FAQ

for information on a cited driver's rights and how to contest a traffic ticket.

Good Luck on this
Best Regards,
Hey There

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">