• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Failure Yield Emergency Vehicle

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ErinKH

Illinois ch625 act5/11 sec907(a)(1)

I was driving around a right turn bend when an officer's car had another car pulled over. Before I approached them, the vehicle turned into the four lane highway, leaving the officer to stay parked on the right shoulder, lights flashing. Again, because it was a right turn bend in the road, I couldn't tell if there was a car in my blind spot in the left lane so I reduced my speed as I drove past the officer and he pulled me over for Failure to yield to emergency vehicle.

After looking up this Illinois law I notice two things.
1) the section he is referring to doesn't fit my situation
2) the section that does (c)(1) plainly states Make a lane change... if possible with due regard to safety

Should I go to my court time tomorrow and contest it or just pay the fine?
I have a clean driving record.

ErinKH

I should have not went the not guilty route. Even though I was not guilty. The judge called me arrogant for representing myself. Said he didn't need me to read him the law. Made the $75 fine whatever he wanted to make it (in this case $150) and added just over $200 in court costs. I should have just paid the stupid fine. Where is the justice when you are wrongly given a citation?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">