• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Failure to yield left turn

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

snowman0

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia

Hello, i am a 17 year old male with no prior tickets or warnings on my driving record. I was recently in an accident, and i need advice on a plea for court.

How it happened:

It was night time and hard to judge what lane a car was in. I had entered a turn lane with my signal to turn left. I let a few cars pass me, and the next oncoming car had its turn signal on to turn right. (about 150 ft away) I assumed the other party was going to turn into a nearby hotel, so i began to make my turn. As i entered the oncoming lane the other party continued on their course and, without attempting to break, hit me in the front right side of my car (turn signal still on) hard enough to turn my car into a complete 180 degree turn.

I was charged by a GSP as "Failure to yield turning left" (code 40-6-71). Am i completely at fault?

pumpkinhead

Yes, unfortunately, you are at fault. Because you made an assumption about where they are turning. Learn to drive defensively and assume the worst....that other drivers cannot be counted on to drive properly......They could have their turn signal on and decide not to turn at all. NEVER ASSUME!!!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">