• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Failure to Yield to Pedestrian

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

justin_i55

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Yesterday, I was pulled over for failing to yield to a pedestrian, 21950 (a).
This is my first ticket ever and all I want to know is what should I do? I am willing to pay for this ticket, though i don't want it to be on my record. Will they let me go to traffic school?

How much do these tickets usually cost?
When will I get my ticket in the mail?
And is there any way to reduce the fine?

Additional Information: This cop that pulled me over did not ask me for my insurance card or my registration, only my license. Will this make a difference?

What happened was a woman with a stroller started crossing the street from the other side as I was driving. I did not see her at all when she started. Had I seen her start crossing I would've stopped. A couple seconds later, a cop pulls me over, telling me that i failed to yield to the pedestrian.

Last edited:

davidmcbeth3

Some states have it where you can still travel even if someone is in the crosswalk (as long as you don't create a hazard), some say that once a foot is on the pavement you must stop, others say once someone is one the curb then you must stop.

I think CA is the "foot-on-the-pavement" rule. So you are kinda guilty on this one. The insurance card? - not an issue. You can do a written argument, maybe the cop will not answer -- just write "I am not guilty".

Lower fines, traffic school ~ have to go to courthouse for that, at arraignment for a plea deal -- if they are willing to do that.

CdwJava

This should be in the ballpark of $233, can be a point on your license, and should be eligible for traffic school.

The insurance and registration is not an issue.

You already have the ticket. If you get anything in the mail it will be a courtesy notice that will tell you your options. If you do not receive further written instructions, attend court on the date and time indicated on the citation at the location listed.

The base fine is only $35. A small reduction is not likely, but theoretically possible. As everyone asks for one, it is doubtful that the judge may not find any compelling reason to grant you one. But, you can ask.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">