• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Failure to yield to pedestrian in blind spot

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MAdriver

What is the name of your state? MA

Two questions, first is an easy one, second is less so.
1) If a cop writes you up on a ticket for "failure to yield to a pedestrian in a crosswalk" (this pedestrian was coming from the middle of a divided highway with no barrier in the middle), but notes your gender incorrectly on the ticket, and you clearly gave him your driver's license, provided information, and were compliant, what is the best way to get off the ticket? The ticket is written incorrectly despite your having given them all the information they asked for at the time of the citation. Is there a defense that is based on the importance of a correct citation (I have seen people get off on the date being written incorrectly on their ticket)? If not...

2) How would I be able to best approach a defense for this following situation?
I was driving a rental car down Mass. Ave (a traffic-heavy 4-lane two-way street with no divider) during rush hour. The rental car was acquired on short notice from my insurance company because my boyfriend had wrecked my car earlier during the weekend and I needed a rental on short notice to get to work while the car was in the shop. The rental place couldn't get me a compact car, so I was driving a mid-sized sedan with a lot of blind spots for someone who is as short as I am, even with the seat up and all the way forward (I adjusted the vehicle to as safe a configuration as possible for someone of my height - 5'0).
I am coming down Mass Ave in the right lane (there are 2 lanes of traffic in each direction), maintaining 25 in a 30 zone due to heavy traffic. There is a street on the left side of Mass Ave (the other side relative to the direction I'm going), which T-intersects Mass ave. At this T-intersection, there extends a crosswalk, but there is no light on mass ave, no stop sign, and nothing but white lines indicating that there is a crosswalk. A bored cop happens to be hanging out at a shop on Mass Ave with his friends (I also have been to this shop and know the owner, who knows this cop) near this crosswalk.
As I approach the crosswalk, there is a large SUV/truck that is making a left turn onto the street that T-intersects Mass Ave - the traffic is moving on the other side in the opposite direction. I assume he is stopped and waiting for the traffic, since it is moving. I slow down and go through the crosswalk.
Three blocks later, as I happen to be yielding for ANOTHER pedestrian on a corner, who flags me on because the other side of traffic is not yielding for her, the bored cop pulls me over and accuses me of not yielding to a pedestrian (how ironic that the only reason he manages to catch up to me at all in this traffic is because I am yielding to a pedestrian). I assumed he meant the pedestrian that just flagged me on, so I said "no, I did yield, she flagged me on," and I keep firmly asserting that the pedestrian on the corner that I yielded for flagged me on. This must have pissed him off because he was talking about another pedestrian I apparently didn't even see at all up the street at the aforementioned T intersection.
Going back to the T-intersection: he claims that I "almost ran over!" a woman who was in a crosswalk because "I wasn't paying attention at all!"
I told him that I slowed down in the intersection (still not realizing that he did not mean the woman I had just yielded for), and he said "slowing down isn't stopping." Obviously, we did not understand each other until after I read the citation and realized he meant back up at the other intersection, so the insistance that I did stop for a woman probably didn't work to my advantage at all. However, to my defense for the citation he did write me up on:
1) I had some very serious visibility issues in the rental car I was driving (there were no other safer options at the time of rental as the rental agency is tiny and this was the safest option available)
2) A large vehicle to my left was making a left turn (had his blinker on), thus further obstructing my visibility.
3) Traffic was moving on the other side of the street in the opposite direction, so I had assumed that the large vehicle was stopped for traffic, and not for a pedestrian.
4) I slowed down and proceeded with what I figured was reasonable action/caution through the crosswalk. Even the cop said "slowing down is not stopping." Again, there is no stop sign at this crosswalk. There is nothing to mark this crosswalk except the white lines. I was going 5 miles under the speed limit. Had I honestly not had a visual obstruction due to the vehicle I was in and the one next to me, I would have certainly yielded for the pedestrian that I would have seen.
5) There is no middle divide on Mass Ave - there is only a line. The woman was proceeding from the middle of the street, and I can't vouch for her equally cautious approach to this poorly-placed crosswalk.

Is this enough to win this traffic ticket, or do I need something more?

seniorjudge

MAdriver said:
What is the name of your state? MA

Two questions, first is an easy one, second is less so.
1) If a cop writes you up on a ticket for "failure to yield to a pedestrian in a crosswalk" (this pedestrian was coming from the middle of a divided highway with no barrier in the middle), but notes your gender incorrectly on the ticket, and you clearly gave him your driver's license, provided information, and were compliant, what is the best way to get off the ticket? The ticket is written incorrectly despite your having given them all the information they asked for at the time of the citation. Is there a defense that is based on the importance of a correct citation (I have seen people get off on the date being written incorrectly on their ticket)? If not...

2) How would I be able to best approach a defense for this following situation?
I was driving a rental car down Mass. Ave (a traffic-heavy 4-lane two-way street with no divider) during rush hour. The rental car was acquired on short notice from my insurance company because my boyfriend had wrecked my car earlier during the weekend and I needed a rental on short notice to get to work while the car was in the shop. The rental place couldn't get me a compact car, so I was driving a mid-sized sedan with a lot of blind spots for someone who is as short as I am, even with the seat up and all the way forward (I adjusted the vehicle to as safe a configuration as possible for someone of my height - 5'0).
I am coming down Mass Ave in the right lane (there are 2 lanes of traffic in each direction), maintaining 25 in a 30 zone due to heavy traffic. There is a street on the left side of Mass Ave (the other side relative to the direction I'm going), which T-intersects Mass ave. At this T-intersection, there extends a crosswalk, but there is no light on mass ave, no stop sign, and nothing but white lines indicating that there is a crosswalk. A bored cop happens to be hanging out at a shop on Mass Ave with his friends (I also have been to this shop and know the owner, who knows this cop) near this crosswalk.
As I approach the crosswalk, there is a large SUV/truck that is making a left turn onto the street that T-intersects Mass Ave - the traffic is moving on the other side in the opposite direction. I assume he is stopped and waiting for the traffic, since it is moving. I slow down and go through the crosswalk.
Three blocks later, as I happen to be yielding for ANOTHER pedestrian on a corner, who flags me on because the other side of traffic is not yielding for her, the bored cop pulls me over and accuses me of not yielding to a pedestrian (how ironic that the only reason he manages to catch up to me at all in this traffic is because I am yielding to a pedestrian). I assumed he meant the pedestrian that just flagged me on, so I said "no, I did yield, she flagged me on," and I keep firmly asserting that the pedestrian on the corner that I yielded for flagged me on. This must have pissed him off because he was talking about another pedestrian I apparently didn't even see at all up the street at the aforementioned T intersection.
Going back to the T-intersection: he claims that I "almost ran over!" a woman who was in a crosswalk because "I wasn't paying attention at all!"
I told him that I slowed down in the intersection (still not realizing that he did not mean the woman I had just yielded for), and he said "slowing down isn't stopping." Obviously, we did not understand each other until after I read the citation and realized he meant back up at the other intersection, so the insistance that I did stop for a woman probably didn't work to my advantage at all. However, to my defense for the citation he did write me up on:
1) I had some very serious visibility issues in the rental car I was driving (there were no other safer options at the time of rental as the rental agency is tiny and this was the safest option available)
2) A large vehicle to my left was making a left turn (had his blinker on), thus further obstructing my visibility.
3) Traffic was moving on the other side of the street in the opposite direction, so I had assumed that the large vehicle was stopped for traffic, and not for a pedestrian.
4) I slowed down and proceeded with what I figured was reasonable action/caution through the crosswalk. Even the cop said "slowing down is not stopping." Again, there is no stop sign at this crosswalk. There is nothing to mark this crosswalk except the white lines. I was going 5 miles under the speed limit. Had I honestly not had a visual obstruction due to the vehicle I was in and the one next to me, I would have certainly yielded for the pedestrian that I would have seen.
5) There is no middle divide on Mass Ave - there is only a line. The woman was proceeding from the middle of the street, and I can't vouch for her equally cautious approach to this poorly-placed crosswalk.

Is this enough to win this traffic ticket, or do I need something more?

double post

https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?t=321976

Dear Mad river: If you hit a pedestrian, you do not have a defense.

MAdriver

repeat-post deleted. apologies.

I did not hit any pedestrian that day. The only citation I was written up on was failure to yield.

xylene

Personally I hate draconian yeild to ped. laws but...

Irrelevant. Blind spots are your responsiblity. Not the states. There is no safest rental car defense.

I don't get it. The turn signal was blinding you? If so get an eye exam to confirm you are fit to drive.

You assumed wrong.

The cop is right. While signs are good to mark crosswalks, stop signs are definately NOT required. White lines are all that is needed.

Irrelevant.

MAdriver

xylene said:
I don't get it. The turn signal was blinding you? If so get an eye exam to confirm you are fit to drive.
D'oh. What I meant to say was that the large vehicle was pulled up past the intersection - it was not the turn signal blinding me. The vehicle was pulled up farther than where a car pulling up next to it would have to be to see a pedestrian and not already be in the X-walk.

sukharev

Well, all you can do is hope magistrate would be willing to drop it to a non-moving violation. Chances are slim, but worth trying. You don't have any valid defense from what I read. You do have the right to appeal magistrate hearing for $25, and if the cop does not show up, you may be in luck. Try it, still much cheaper than insurance hike you will get.

Oh, yeah, just to clarify: I do not endorse hitting pedestrians, so do consider being more careful next time.

Last edited:

MAdriver

Argh.
Ah well, from the comments I've received, it seems like I'm pretty much S.O.L. I guess I was unlucky that the cop decided he wanted to be a dick that day (I didn't even get into the fact that he also failed chase down every single other violator who was blatantly doing something wrong on the road mere half-blocks away from him - red-light runners, other people not yielding for pedestrians, suicidal jaywalkers etc.), and decided to go after the closest violator he could nitpick. Am I bitter? Of course, the cop was showing off for the people he was hanging out with. Especially when he saw that I was, in fact, yielding for every single pedestrian ready to jump out in front of my car (as I normally do).

That aside, as much as I dislike falling back onto petty facts - does anyone have anything to say about defense through clerical error? In my first question, I noted that the cop filled out the ticket incorrectly, mis-stating my gender. Does it bear any significance, as it sets precedent for the officer to be prone to mistakes, as well as false accusation - if the information presented in the piece of physical evidence that was taken by both offender and the officer is incorrect and inaccurate, does that not set precedent that the officer could have also mis-stated other pieces of information which may be key in prosecution? In such a case, since the officer was mistaken in stating information after pulling over the driver of a vehicle and asking for license and registration, would an inaccuracy in reporting not set a precedent for the policeman possibly falsely accusing someone of a crime (not saying that he did, but that he could have), and since it is one person's word versus another, with only one piece of evidence pointing in my favor, does that constitute any kind of defense based simply on the principle of accurate information? I would hate to use that as a defense but it seems like the only concrete thing I have going for me that I can argue versus trying to explain why I should be let off after being cited for pulling through a X-walk without stopping. Thoughts at all?

By the way, thank you for such prompt responses to my post.

sukharev

The error will be corrected by the officer on the spot. As long as your DL is correct, the ticket stands. Once again, your only chance is to show good driver's record, and ask magistrate to consider it was not as clearcut as, say running red light. But, drop the attitude, officer was just doing his job. Your luck ran out that day, and it was your turn to get ticketed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">