• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Failure to yield right away - Turn on Red Signal

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Blackmach1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

I was making a right on red(it was allowed) this morning.. and there was plenty of space for me to turn after a truck that had passed me by. I pulled out behind the truck with plenty of room for the next car. However, as soon as I pulled out behind the truck, the truck slammed on its brakes, I slammed on my brakes, then the car behind me had to slam on its brakes. I got a ticket because the car behind me had to slam on its brakes.

The officer said that it was still my fault because I pulled out behind the truck that slammed on its brakes. The van behind me would have had to slam on its brakes because of the truck regardless. No accident occurred.

Does it sound like I should try to fight this ticket or just pay the $150 court/etc costs to take defensive driving?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

I_Got_Banned

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

I was making a right on red(it was allowed) this morning.. and there was plenty of space for me to turn after a truck that had passed me by. I pulled out behind the truck with plenty of room for the next car. However, as soon as I pulled out behind the truck, the truck slammed on its brakes, I slammed on my brakes, then the car behind me had to slam on its brakes. I got a ticket because the car behind me had to slam on its brakes.

The officer said that it was still my fault because I pulled out behind the truck that slammed on its brakes. The van behind me would have had to slam on its brakes because of the truck regardless.
I think its called "Failure to Yield Right OF WAY" but that's OK... It kind of sounds the same to me too...

Let me see if I understand this right though... You mean you made a right turn while the light was red after the truck passed in front of you.

When you did that, the truck slammed on its brakes, you did the same AND then all of a sudden and out of nowhere, there was a this van (behind you) and that driver had to slam on his/her brakes.

Maybe the officer though that if you weren't there, that van would have had more room to just slow down instead of slam on the brakes which might also suggest that you made your turn when in fact you should have waited for the van to go by, and then make your turn... Which might suggest that due to the fact that the van had a green light while you had a red light, could mean that you did not yield to the other driver in the van who had the right of way!!!
The van behind me would have had to slam on its brakes because of the truck regardless.
But maybe not as hard... Also, that doesn't change the fact that if you would have waited for the van to go by, you would have just been watching it instead of being in the middle of it!
No accident occurred.
Pretty close call though, huh?
Does it sound like I should try to fight this ticket or just pay the $150 court/etc costs to take defensive driving?
I would pick choice number 2.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">