• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Falsifying Police Report

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

number9ine

What is the name of your state? Oklahoma

Assuming it is legal in your state to record the conversation you have with a police officer (is there any state where this is illegal, and if so, what if you ask permission?); What would stop you if next time you get pulled over and the cop decides to be "nice" and lower your violation to keep it off your record (for example you were doing 13 over the speed limit and the cop writes the ticket for 10 over) and you get this all recorded(you may need to ask questions to get the full explanation on record. "So I was going xx miles per hour but you're only going to write the ticket for yy over the limit?".)

Wouldn't you now have evidence of a police officer falsifying a police report (the ticket)? That ticket is a legal document and falsifying any evidence or admissible legal documentation is against the law and would therefore nullify the ticket, correct?

Alternatively or additionally, if the radar is visible and still locked you could take a digital picture of the actual speed (the digital picture would be time/date stamped electronically and would coincide with the time/date written on the ticket.) If the picture and what was written on the ticket did not match, there would be another example of falsifying a document.

seniorjudge

This kind of attitude has always astounded me.

Most cops in most traffic stops (around 75%) will let you go.

You get smart and the chances you will be let go drops to zero.

(Yeah, I got a ticket recently and the cop said absolutely nothing. When I called the prosecutor, he didn't give a rip snort if I was the chief justice! :()

number9ine

I guess I'm more amazed at the bias of people's feelings than I am planning to actually try anything like this.

You're telling me nobody would complain if the officer wrote the ticket for 12 over instead of the 9 over you were actually doing? Its the same exact situation in terms of mis-stating the facts. If you had this instance on the record you would just let it go? Is it OK for a cop to witness assault and battery but decide to let the perpetrator go with a warning because he is a nice guy?

Also, what about the dash camera that records the entire event?

I don't understand how you're all OK with the law being bent in your favor but not against. The law is the law right?

Are Americans really OK with the officers of the law deciding how to selectively enforce it based on whether or not you've "pissed them off?" Sounds more like the schoolyard than a legal system. Asking an officer if you can record the conversation should make no difference in the outcome.

JustAPal00

If a policeman clocks you at 80 in a 55 and then starts to pursue you, you wil be seen by him traveling 80,79,78,77,76,75,74,73,72,71,70,69,68,**************and so on as you slow to a stop. He can pick the speed to write the citation for, and will have been totally honest on the summons. However he would be lying to write you for 85!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">