• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Federal case reckless driving 76/35

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

chicagoguy1985

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia, Shenandoah National Park
I am 23 male truck driver with a C class straight truck license from Chicago, IL. I was on vacation in Va in a rental car. I was visiting the park and was pulled over for 76mph/35mph reckless driving. I disagreed with the officer that I was speeding that much. I told him that He clocked me as I was going down hill and he was waiting after the bottom. He told me that i needed to sign for the ticket. He said that if I didn't want the ticket I needed to spend a night in jail and go to court the next day. I took the ticket. He told me if I didn't show to court on 11/4/08 I would have a federal warrant for my arrest. He said that the judge was reasonable and I may have a chance? He told me to bring the other 2 people that were in the car with me. I was riding along the drive stopping at outlooks along the way. I don't think I was doing 76 in a park. I may have been speeding but not double the speed limit. What are my options? I will need to drive to VA. to go to federal court. The others in the car will not be able to join me. Can I transfer my case to Chicago US district court? What should I expect to pay in fines? Should I expect jail time? Will my insurance or license be affected? Any thing helps! Thank you.

FlyingRon

Reckless is a misdemeanor here. You only need to be doing 15 over to be convicted. You have no grounds for a change in venue. You may be able to get the charge reduced in exchange for driving school.

Unless you are racing or in excess of 100 mph, jail is a possibility but unlikely. I'd recommend a lawyer. Surely this will appear on your driving record. It's up to your insurance companies, but reckless and/or careless convictions are worse premium wise as opposed to simple speeding.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">