• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

On Federal Probation and Driving

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hany

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Hi All,

I just started Federal Supervised probation for a NON violent crime (fraud).

I sent an email to my U.S. Probation Officer and I am awaiting his reply.

The probation terms they gave me seemed like a cookie cutter sheet, no community svs, no drug testing, nothing special checked off. However one of the basic terms (line #1) is the dont break any new Federal, State or Local laws. I do mail in a monthly report which notes any police contact and other questions.

First question: what happens if I recieve a traffic infraction? Such as a fix it to a speeding or any moving violation? I do know that certain moving violations may cause an officer to arrest ANYONE, just wondering if everyday moving violations, fix it's, or minor speeding etc will violate my probation?

Second Question: regardless of the infraction will the officer arrest me just because I am on probation?

Thank you

FlyingRon

I would report any infractions. It will look much better if you tell them first (which I assume reporting arrests etc... is a condition of the probation) than if they get notification otherwise.

The officer will not arrest you, nor will he likely know or care that you're o probation.

hany

thank m how about question #1?

Thank you mr. flying ron, how about question #1?

do u know if its a violation of my probation to even get a traffice citation of any kind, because of that standard no breaking ANY crimes they put on all probation conditions??

sorry for the headache

thank you again

I_Got_Banned

Thank you mr. flying ron, how about question #1?

do u know if its a violation of my probation to even get a traffice citation of any kind, because of that standard no breaking ANY crimes they put on all probation conditions??

sorry for the headache

thank you again
Theoretically, violating a "law" (traffic or otherwise) is in fact in violation of one of your conditions of probation. Whether you probation officer decides to consider that as flagrant enough to report it to the court and to hold you in violation of your probation, that decision is up to him/her. Highly doubtful but possible. No one here can definatively answer that question for you.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
nor will he likely know or care that you're o probation.
Not true. An NCIC check will reveal that he is on probation. So if the officer does a standard license check he should know, although it will be irrelevant to him in all likelihood.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">