• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Federal ticket for stop sign, in California

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Pugilist

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
California

Got a ticket for running a stop sign. Issued by federal police officer, under 41cfr10274.430(c).

Two questions:

1. The ticket says the fine is $160. Is this before the court adds a bunch of assessments, like they do on violations of the Cal. Veh. Code? In other words, is this really a $700 ticket?

2. If I just pay it, do I need to attend traffic school in order to avoid having a point show on my California license?

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
California

Got a ticket for running a stop sign. Issued by federal police officer, under 41cfr10274.430(c).

Two questions:

1. The ticket says the fine is $160. Is this before the court adds a bunch of assessments, like they do on violations of the Cal. Veh. Code? In other words, is this really a $700 ticket?

2. If I just pay it, do I need to attend traffic school in order to avoid having a point show on my California license?
Pugilist, you mean you don't fight all your tickets:confused:

slwslw

$50 Bucks ????

41 CFR 102-74.430 (a) Failure to operate a motor vehicle in a careful
and safe manner
$250.00
41 CFR 102-74.430 (b) Failure to obey the lawful order, signal or
direction of an officer
$250.00
41 CFR 102-74.430 (c) Failing to comply with the directions of any
signal or posted traffic sign
$50.00

My info. must be wrong because I show it being a $50 fine. Call the court to verify the fine.

Last edited:

Pugilist

What about traffic school?

Slwslw's info suggests that the base fine could be $50, with the $160 amount I saw being the fine with all surcharges. That's not great but it's a big relief to know that it won't be $700.

But I still need to know about traffic school.

A private note for Antigone: Did I somehow offend you in some previous life, or do people here just need to avoid posting new threads during your ****tail hour? You advertise a "dose of sarcasm" and I find great irony in the fact that when you first joined this site you complained loudly about other people's posts.

Antigone*

Slwslw's info suggests that the base fine could be $50, with the $160 amount I saw being the fine with all surcharges. That's not great but it's a big relief to know that it won't be $700.

But I still need to know about traffic school.

A private note for Antigone: Did I somehow offend you in some previous life, or do people here just need to avoid posting new threads during your ****tail hour? You advertise a "dose of sarcasm" and I find great irony in the fact that when you first joined this site you complained loudly about other people's posts.
I got a kick out of your siggy Pugilist, especially with regards to what you were posting.

Nice to know you checked out my early posts. You see, while we help many people on this site, the idiotic and ridiculous posts tend to harden a person over the years.;)

Antigone*

I would suggest you independently verify that information if you are that concerned about it.
The State of California is very strange that way. The ticket itself may be as little as $50 but then the court adds all these fees and costs. Soon enough that ticked is almost $500 if not more.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
The State of California is very strange that way. The ticket itself may be as little as $50 but then the court adds all these fees and costs. Soon enough that ticked is almost $500 if not more.
What I meant was to verify what "slow slow" posted from the CFR. I don't think he's been a, uh, reliable source in the past.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">