• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Felony assault with parked vehicle in 1983

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MacFromOK

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? The charge was in Texas (I live in Oklahoma).

This was a traffic accident. I had stopped to pick up a hitch-hiker, and a car ran into the left rear corner of the flat-bed truck I was driving. This was on a 4-lane highway with a completely clear left-hand lane, in full daylight, and virtually no traffic at the time.
For some reason the officer (having a bad day perhaps) charged me with assault (with a parked vehicle!). It made no sense of course, and the grand jury threw it out.

Can I get this bogus charge removed from my record? Its very existence impedes anything that requires a background check.

Thanks, Mac

xylene

Yes, it is definitely possible.

You need to petition to have your arrest record expunged.

I'm afraid that's really not likely going to be a DIY project and you will need to hire a Texas lawyer.

Given this happened over thirty years ago, and you imply you've never had any legal problems since, it should be possible.

MacFromOK

Good to know, thanks.

I don't know much about court-related stuff. Does this require a certain type of lawyer?

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Found this at: http://research.lawyers.com/texas/texas-expungement-and-record-sealing.html

It is recommended that you read up on the Texas Criminal Code about how to have records expunged or get an Order Of Nondisclosure before attempting the process. The overall process is similar for both:

Apply for a Petition for Expunction or Nondisclosure. Fill out the form. Have it notarized.
The court will schedule a hearing and send notice to all pertinent respondents.
The court will conduct the hearing and hear the respondents' input.
If you meet the requirements, your petition will be granted and filed.
Missing information may result in a denial. Note that judges have more discretion in nondisclosure than with expunction.

Sounds like it would require you to appear in court in Texas.

While it is recommended you have an attorney to deal with this, the information I read seems to imply that you can do it on your own.

Chapter 55 of the Texas Code of Criminal Procedure contains provisions for the expunction of arrest records, court records and criminal history record information. The statute specifically details the requirements and procedures to properly expunge records in Texas.

MacFromOK

Have you had this show up during a background check?
Yeah, it delays anything firearms related. They have to wait on a response from the Texas authorities because it shows up as an "assault" arrest.

Who would the "pertinent respondents" be in this case, since it was "no-billed" by a grand jury back in 1983?

Thanks for the info.

MacFromOK

Hehe, well I figured I might be one.

Anyone else? The arresting officer, for example? I'd guess he was 40-ish at the time, and is likely retired now, if not deceased.

Probably be better off contacting an attorney anyway, as I'm pretty much clueless about this stuff.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Anyone else? The arresting officer, for example? I'd guess he was 40-ish at the time, and is likely retired now, if not deceased.
I couldn't say but it wouldn't be unreasonable to have a representative of the prosecutor's office there.

Probably be better off contacting an attorney anyway, as I'm pretty much clueless about this stuff.
That would be a wise move. If this issue is that important to you it doesn't pay to attempt it yourself. You can at least consult with an attorney to get an idea what it will cost and what you're up against.

I am not an attorney, but I do know quite a few, and I can't see this costing a whole lot of money.

CavemanLawyer is a Texas attorney - maybe he'll come along and offer some insight. He's not here often but does pop in at times.

MacFromOK

Well... as usual, reality is an eye-opener. It seems the Texas authorities failed to update my arrest record to show the charge was "no-billed," and that's (probably?) why it causes delays.

I talked to a Texas attorney today, and the expunction filing/notification fees alone are over $700 (plus the attorney's fee is $1000 more). And that's assuming everything goes "as planned" (a rarity in/of itself).

And the kicker is... the Feds (who actually perform the background checks) are under no obligation whatsoever to honor state expunction orders.

So... I could spend almost $2k and (assuming the expunction order is granted) still have this arrest show up on a background check.

I wholeheartedly support LEOs, but one careless officer can sure mess things up for law-abiding citizens.

Color me disillusioned. Or at least really frustrated.

Last edited:

tranquility

CavemanLawyer is a Texas attorney - maybe he'll come along and offer some insight. He's not here often but does pop in at times.
My interpretation for some reason is "she". (Probably because of a total crush.) Yet, I agree. She is awesome. There may have been time I disagreed; but it was only in theory. In reality on how things are handled? I suspect CavemanLawyer does this every day. If she posts, accept it as truth.

HighwayMan is pretty good too. He went a bit further than his knowledge at first. As did we all. The smack down of others have brought him back to reality. Unless you are sure of something, a person would not suffer from listening. He seems to limit claims appropriately. (While recognizing the praise depends on how you think of me. Social Media, what a concept.)

CavemanLawyer

My interpretation for some reason is "she". (Probably because of a total crush.) Yet, I agree. She is awesome. There may have been time I disagreed; but it was only in theory. In reality on how things are handled? I suspect CavemanLawyer does this every day. If she posts, accept it as truth.
Thanks. Awkward, but thanks. I'm definitely a dude.

MacFromOK if your case was no billed and the statute of limitations has run then you are entitled to an expunction if you follow the proper procedure. There is nothing discretionary about it on the part of the court. File the proper paperwork and you should get what you are requesting. The respondents are any entity that has records of your arrest. This would typically be the district attorney's office, district clerk's office, police agency that made the arrest, and DPS. I suppose the procedure could vary by county but the only procedure I am familiar with just requires that you file your petition with the District Clerk's Office and serve it on the District Attorney's Office. You have to pay a filing fee and will also have to pay court costs. This typically will add up to at least a few hundred dollars. The case will get docketed and you may have to appear and present the petition. It really depends on how the District Attorney's office responds. In a situation like yours they might just agree and tell the judge to sign the order, since your scenario seems like a no-brainer. After the order is signed you have to serve each entity with it (DPS, arresting agency, etc.) The Clerk's Office will usually do this for you for a fee. Hiring an attorney is definitely much easier but I see people handle it themselves all the time. The Harris County District Attorney's office has a section detailing the process and has sample petitions and forms.

Last edited:

MacFromOK

Thanks for the info Caveman.

Unfortunately, due to my health (and my wife's), a trip to Texas (and even multiple stops at our local stores) has become quite an ordeal for us.

The arrest (which I just learned from OSBI today is "aggravated assault") was in Cooke county, and the lawyer I spoke with said Cooke is more expensive than most (or perhaps any other) county in Texas. He had recently filed for an expunction there and still had the info handy (he's in Denton county, but his firm has an office in Cooke).

And since the Feds already have the info, an expunction may well be a waste of effort and resources if they won't clear their records as well.

At this point, I'd be happy just to get the arrest record updated to show it was no-billed. Any ideas on how to do that?

Thanks again.

[EDIT]: Oh btw... Apparently Texas has a thing ("tolling?") where the statute of limitations clock doesn't tick if/while the accused is out of state. Since I was (and still am) an Oklahoma resident, can that apply to me 33 years later?

Last edited:

CavemanLawyer

The arrest (which I just learned from OSBI today is "aggravated assault") was in Cooke county, and the lawyer I spoke with said Cooke is more expensive than most (or perhaps any other) county in Texas. He had recently filed for an expunction there and still had the info handy (he's in Denton county, but his firm has an office in Cooke).
I don't know about Cooke County specifically but smaller counties absolutely tend to have much higher court costs. Also if you want to do this pro se you would have to make the trip to Texas at least once.

And since the Feds already have the info, an expunction may well be a waste of effort and resources if they won't clear their records as well.
I don't know what you mean about the Feds. Was the federal government involved in the charges in someway? If you are referring to your arrest appearing on the national database (NCIC) as well as Texas' database (TCIC) then that is all taken care of through any expunction. DPS for Texas maintains TCIC and the record of your arrest would be removed if an expunction were granted. Any future inquiries to the NCIC database will no longer pull this data from TCIC, hence it will be effectively removed from the national database as well. If an expunction is done and all entities are properly served then not even law enforcement is able to tell you were ever arrested and you are legally permitted to deny the fact that you were ever arrested.

At this point, I'd be happy just to get the arrest record updated to show it was no-billed. Any ideas on how to do that?
That may be even more difficult than getting an expunction. There is no law or policy on how something like a no bill gets reported. A DA's office doesn't really have to do anything once a no bill occurs if they don't want to. They can re-present the charges to another Grand Jury, file a document stating that they do not intend on re-presenting the charges (effectively dismissing the case), or just sit on them and let the statute of limitations run. Regardless of what they choose to do there is no requirement that they file any documentation with the clerk's office showing the case was no billed. Even if they do file something the clerk's office is not required to report that to DPS. Basically, if Cooke county doesn't have a policy of getting no bills reported to DPS, then all you could do is ask them pretty please to do it in your case. Like I said, an expunction is probably easier. But that doesn't mean it isn't worth trying because it is possible that policies have changed drastically since your arrest since it was so long ago.

I would find out what the District Clerk's Office's records show for your case. See if there is anything in there showing a no bill. If so then you actually could ask them if there is any way they can report that to DPS. If there is nothing showing a no bill you'd have to get the DA's office to file something for you first... and I wouldn't hold my breath on that one.

Oh btw... Apparently Texas has a thing ("tolling?") where the statute of limitations clock doesn't tick if/while the accused is out of state. Since I was (and still am) an Oklahoma resident, can that apply to me 33 years later?
Actually yes the statute of limitations doesn't run during any period of time when you have left the state. But this would only come into play if the state wanted to try to charge you again. For purposes of an expunction it doesn't matter if the statute of limitations hasn't run if you fall within one of the other categories for mandatory expunction. In your case (a felony) it has been more than 3 years since the date of arrest and no indictment has issued. You qualify for a mandatory expunction if you jump through the proper hoops.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">