• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Felony Speeding/Maximum Inconvenience

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Px5TryNH

I was cited for felony speeding (83 in a 55) the day after Christmas in southern NH and ordered to appear in court on Feb. 15th. I am from CA (I was in NH, in a rental car, visiting family) and felt the trooper was rude and discourteous to me and my wife and instead of using some discretion (I immediately put on my hazards and pulled over to a safe area, I was not drinking (I passed a field sobriety test in the freezing cold though I didn't have anything to drink), I was not driving recklessly, I have a clean driving record, etc.) to simply fine me (since I don't dispute the infraction, and didn't on scene...) he felt the need to show me who was in charge and decided to order me to appear as a way to completely inconvenience me and cost me a lot money. Do I have any recourse and is it absolutely necessary that I fly completely across the country to appear in court for an infraction I don't contest? Also, how do I report my displeasure with the trooper's treatment and protocol?

Just Blue

I was cited for felony speeding (83 in a 55) the day after Christmas in southern NH and ordered to appear in court on Feb. 15th. I am from CA (I was in NH, in a rental car, visiting family) and felt the trooper was rude and discourteous to me and my wife and instead of using some discretion (I immediately put on my hazards and pulled over to a safe area, I was not drinking (I passed a field sobriety test in the freezing cold though I didn't have anything to drink), I was not driving recklessly, I have a clean driving record, etc.) to simply fine me (since I don't dispute the infraction, and didn't on scene...) he felt the need to show me who was in charge and decided to order me to appear as a way to completely inconvenience me and cost me a lot money. Do I have any recourse and is it absolutely necessary that I fly completely across the country to appear in court for an infraction I don't contest? Also, how do I report my displeasure with the trooper's treatment and protocol?
By your own actions you were driving recklessly. 30 MPH over the limit.

Request if you can appear via telephone or video.

xylene

Don't drive like a jerk when you are 3000 miles from home.

It ain't a Cali freeway. 83 was fast.

You sound like an entitled idiot with this 'rude trooper' bit.

Hire a lawyer to see your options

You should hire a lawyer even if you lived NH

FlyingRon

There's no such thing as felony speeding in New Hampshire. Both speeding and reckless driving are mere violations. Please ditch the hyperbole.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
...and instead of using some discretion...
He DID use discretion. In this case it was his discretion to issue you a traffic ticket. That is certainly a valid use of discretion.

(I immediately put on my hazards and pulled over to a safe area, I was not drinking (I passed a field sobriety test in the freezing cold though I didn't have anything to drink), I was not driving recklessly, I have a clean driving record, etc.) to simply fine me (since I don't dispute the infraction, and didn't on scene...)
None of that provides a legal justification for violating traffic laws.

he felt the need to show me who was in charge and decided to order me to
I suspect that it was not the Trooper's decision. That speed probably requires a court appearance.

Also, how do I report my displeasure with the trooper's treatment and protocol?
Protocol? Sounds like there was no issue with that.

You sound intelligent. I'm sure you can find the website for the police agency involved and if there is no specific complaint procedure outlined you can contact them by a general email address or phone number.

sandyclaus

How terrible it is that you are inconvenienced by having to appear in court for your blatant disregard for the law, by driving a good 30 miles over the posted speed limit.

As stated before, it was not the decision of the officer, but the law that requires your appearance, due to the excessive speed you inconveniently chose to travel.

Perhaps all this inconvenience, time, and cost of having to travel back to NH to appear, along with the fines and potential penalties you will most certainly face for your lack of respect for the laws of NH, might teach you to refrain from breaking the law in such a blatantly irresponsible manner again.

(I hate snobs with entitlement issues...)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">