• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

fictitious license plate criminal ticket: do i need lawyer representation?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mycorner

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona

In December of 2014 I purchased a car and traded in the car I owned at the time. The license plate from my previous car was supposed to get transferred to my new car by the dealer that sold me the car. On Friday August 21st I was stopped by the Gilbert Police, I thought it was because my registration had expired but instead I was given a criminal traffic ticket for "ARS 28-2531-B1 Fictitious License plate" and my plate was taken as evidence because apparently the dealer never transferred the plate. I have a copy of my purchase contract, which has noted that plate would be transferred and although I'm not currently in possession of my plate, the dealer has now fixed the problem and transferred the plate to my new car as they should have done before. When the license plate was confiscated the officer checked the box that said I was "non-owner" of the plate, but the plate was under my name just under a different vehicle. At this point I would like to find out if this is something that I need a lawyer's representation? Or is it as simple as just showing my purchase contract and registration now that the dealer properly transferred everything?

adjusterjack

At this point I would like to find out if this is something that I need a lawyer's representation? Or is it as simple as just showing my purchase contract and registration now that the dealer properly transferred everything?
B. A person is guilty of a class 2 misdemeanor who:
1. Displays or possesses a registration card or license plate knowing it to be fictitious or to have been stolen, canceled, revoked, suspended or altered.

Your defense hinges on the word "knowing."

Under your circumstances, you might get a dismissal.

BUT, it's a Class 2 misdemeanor that carries a fine of up to $750 and up to four months in jail.

So it would be in your best interests to consult an attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">