• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fighting a 'Failure to Have Control' ticket?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BigKev

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Wisconsin

Recently, I was involved in an accident. I was driving in the right lane, and a vehicle in the left lane suddenly drifted into my lane. This vehicle was moving at a definite unsafe speed, roughly 80 or more. I had to quickly swerve to the right to avoid hitting him, and then back to the left to regain position on the road. However, as a result of this, i ended up in the center median.

Luckily, neither me or my passenger were injured, although according to my friend, I hit my head on the steering wheel and likely blacked out momentarily. I'm positive that I had a concussion, and even right now, my memory of the incident is somewhat fuzzy.

However, after the officers arrived, both me and my friend were asked about the accident and we both told the officer that we got cut off and landed in the median trying to avoid a collision. The other driver simply continued driving, and did not stop. No other witnesses stopped either.

Erroneously, I told the officer that I was going 70 (in a 65), which now as my memory comes back to me was clearly wrong. Both me and my friend remember there being a particularly slow trailer in front of us, going no faster than 65.

I believe that that is the only reason why I got slapped with a citation under 346.57, with the description failure to have control. I would need to have this ticket removed, however, for insurance reasons as well as the 4 points that it added to my driving record.

What would be my best defense for this case? I know clearly that the accident was not my fault, and could be considered a hit-and-run with an "Unsafe Lane Deviation" on the part of the other driver.

I know that the officer will try to claim that I was driving too fast for the road conditions at the time, I know the following: 1) It was a clear and sunny day 2) In reality, I was going the speed limit 3) Even going 70 on this stretch of highway would be below the general flow of traffic. In addition, I was in no mental shape to answer that question at the time. I was shaken up and had a concussion.

If I were to go to my doctor and get medically confirmed for a concussion, would that help my case as well?

FlyingRon

A concussion subsequent to your loss of control is meaningless to your guilt. Your fuzzy recollection isn't going to help.

You'll not get anywhere with arguing that exceeding the posted prima facie limit was justified either because you think you could safely speed or "go with the flow." You can try arguing that the intruder in the lane was the cause for the lost of control, but the argument is that had you been travelling at a legal and safe speed, you could have braked/manovered without losing control.

And no, it's not hit and run under Wisconsin's statutes. Unless they strike another vehicle, person, or property in the process, there's no duty to stop (if they were even aware that they caused such).

racer72

Police and judges hear on a regular basis about "the phantom vehicle" that was the cause for many a single car accident. Few believe it though.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">