• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fighting a Speeding Ticket in Oregon

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

beccaov

Hello,

I was cited for Speeding in Portland, OR. I am a resident of Washington State and I was on my way home from work. I was cited allegedly going 61 in a 45. I do not believe I was going that fast. I intend to fight the ticket and I was hoping somebody might be able to direct me where I can find some information about Oregon or Portland laws and policies.

1. The officer was using a laser gun. Are there any laws regulating how often these must be tested or calibrated? Also, where might I find the procedure officers must follow in testing accuracy at the beginning of each shift?

2. Is there any law regarding the spacing of speed limit signs? The road I was traveling on was a highway, which the law states are 55 mph unless otherwise posted, and there is a 1.5 mile stretch of road just before I was pulled over where there are no posted signs and I believe cars can enter the roadway in that unmarked interval.

3. Is it possible to look up the officer's citation record? I'm pretty sure I'll find tons of tickets at that same spot, it's a total speed trap. I was just wondering if that information is public record, and if so what office do I ask for it?

4. Lastly, what is the law regarding how often police car odometers must be tested in Oregon? I believe the laser guns are tested by pointing them at a moving vehicle, and I'm thinking if the accuracy of the vehicle's odometer can not be proven then the laser evidence might be thrown out.

Any insight would be most welcome!
Becca

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">