• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

fighting a US speeding ticket from Canada?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jam007ca

What is the name of your state? PA

While travelling in the US, I got pulled over on Hwy. 15 supposedly going 78 miles per hour in a 55 zone. The trooper gave me a speeding ticket charging me under s3362(2) but being Canadian I'm unsure about a few things. There are fines for EMS, CAT, JCP? Are these valid to be charging me? The actual 'fine' is only $71.

a) Can I just ignore the ticket?
b) In Ontario, you can usually 'plead guilty' to a lesser fine. Can you do this for PA? Or should I plead 'not guilty'? But pleading not guilty means a court date which is not exactly an option since I live in Canada. Is there any other way to contest it without appearing in court?
c) If I just plead guilty and pay the fine, how does this affect my driving record in Ontario, Canada?

Bravo8

The EMS, CAT, and JCP fees are applied to almost every citation for violations of the Vehicle Code...regardless of where the offender is from.

If you ignore the the citation a warrant will be issued for your arrest and PA will issue a driver's license suspension. While I sincerely doubt that the county will extradite you from Canada for a traffic warrant, you may be arrested if you come in contact with police (although I doubt Canadian law enforcement would even be aware of a minor warrant).

Canada may honor the driver's license suspension however, but you would need to speak with someone more knowledgeable on their procedures for this.

The only way to contest the citation would be to appear in court.

If you plead guilty and pay the fine by mail, Canada may or may not enter this upon your driving record. Again, you would need to contact someone more knowledgeable than I to determine that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">