• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fine vs. Court

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dcscanner

What is the name of your state? WV

I got a speeding ticket a few days ago, doing 69 in 60. When I called the courthouse to find out the fine they said it was $165.50. So I looked up the violation code on the states website. I was in violation of code 17C-6-1(g) according to the citation. The last portion of that code is what_s confusing me. It reads:

g) If an owner or driver is arrested under the provisions of this section for the offense of driving above the posted speed limit on a controlled access highway or interstate highway and if the evidence shows that the motor vehicle was being operated at ten miles per hour or less above the speed limit, then, upon conviction thereof, that person shall be fined not more than five dollars, plus court costs.

also found at: http://www.legis.state.wv.us/WVCODE/17C/WVC 17 C- 6 - 1 .htm#HD0

Would I stand a better chance going in front of the magistrate or paying the 165?

seniorjudge

dcscanner said:
What is the name of your state? WV

I got a speeding ticket a few days ago, doing 69 in 60. When I called the courthouse to find out the fine they said it was $165.50. So I looked up the violation code on the states website. I was in violation of code 17C-6-1(g) according to the citation. The last portion of that code is what_s confusing me. It reads:

g) If an owner or driver is arrested under the provisions of this section for the offense of driving above the posted speed limit on a controlled access highway or interstate highway and if the evidence shows that the motor vehicle was being operated at ten miles per hour or less above the speed limit, then, upon conviction thereof, that person shall be fined not more than five dollars, plus court costs.

also found at: http://www.legis.state.wv.us/WVCODE/17C/WVC 17 C- 6 - 1 .htm#HD0

Would I stand a better chance going in front of the magistrate or paying the 165?

(g) If an owner or driver is arrested under the provisions of this section for the offense of driving above the posted speed limit on a controlled access highway or interstate highway and if the evidence shows that the motor vehicle was being operated at ten miles per hour or less above the speed limit, then, upon conviction thereof, that person shall be fined not more than five dollars, plus court costs.

The court costs could be $160.

Ask the clerk about that law.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">