• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

First offence - 18yr old girl - one mile over the limit for no points :-(

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

goatsauce

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia

Daughter got a ticket for 80 in a 65, GA 40-6-101. In GA, speeding <15 miles over is 0 points, whereas 15-18 = 2 points. :-(

She was on the interstate, in the right lane, moving with the flow of traffic on a section of road that is always moving fast. Definitely a random selection sort of thing.

Question is whether or not to appear in court, on the hopes she could argue "I was speeding with the flow of traffic, but not driving recklessly, and pretty sure I wasn't going quite that fast." If the judge would agree to reduce the speed by 1mph, she'd get off with no points (and no report to insurance I'm led to believe.)

Or, pay the ticket online and just take the points? The penalty is $200, also have been unable to contact the Recorders Court to figure out fees, and if it'd end up costing more to go to court.

Several people have told me she should opt for a defensive driving course, but that's again more $$. In GA, 2 points isn't a huge deal - she can accumulate up to 15 before a license suspension. Several officers have told her to pay it, be more careful, and move on with life.

Thanks for the comments!
G

TigerD

Several officers have told her to pay it, be more careful, and move on with life.

G
The decision to fight it or not is her and hers alone. I just want to offer this suggestion: You and your daughter may want to rethink seeking seeking defense advice from police officers.

If I was her, I'd contact the prosecutor and see about an offer.

DC

FlyingRon

Your daughter needs to learn that going with the flow is NOT an acceptible defense. The cops are allowed to write one or all of the pack for speeding.
"I don't think I was going that fast" is not a defense either.

If she hasn't used it in the past five years yet, she can enter a plea of "nolo contendre". She'll still get the same fine, but she will dodge the license points this once.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">