• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

First speeding ticket...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Enectic

Name of state: Arkansas

Hello!

I live in Arkansas and got my first speeding ticket for doing 43 in a 30 mph zone. I am 17 and am under my father's insurance. I will not contest the ticket because I WAS speeding, no question about it. However I do have some questions.

1. The officer said I she put me in probation and I would be off of it in 6 months, and that if I get another traffic violation then it would be put in my record. So I guess my record is clean right?

2. Since this is my first violation and my record is still clean is there any chance that my father's insurance will go up?

3. So all I have to do is show up at the court house and pay the fine? Will my parents find out? Will then send anything to my address concerning the ticket (heh, I'd like to keep this ticket a secret from my parents)?

Anyway, thanks alot for any and all help!

Thanks!

popsdad

just a thought

1) a cop can't judge you or put you on probation. that is the job of the courts.

2) If a citation was issued then yes .

3) You are a minor and your folks should know.

Last edited:

Enectic

Hello!

That's wierd. She put a P on the ticket and told me that it meant probation and that for now my record was clean but if I commit another traffic violation within the next six months from when the ticket was issued then it would be put on my record. She told me I could either show up at court on May 5th and plead guilty/not guilty or I could go to the courthouse and pay the fine. Anyway, thanks for the help.

Thanks!

Some Random Guy

And don't bother trying to keep it a secret. Speeding tickets suck but they aren't that bad. Your dad has probably done 43 in a 30 many a time. Would your parents rather find out from you or from your insurance company?

Your almost an adult now, start acting like one.

Bcar1463

not to mention that if you go to court, you need to be either represented by a laywer (then you don't even have to go) or have a legal guardian with you. I wouldn't bother trying to hide it, they will be madder when they find out later. Probation would probably be the best bet, so find out what you need to do to get that. The officer may have just wrote it on there to remind herself or someone to offer you probation. I don't know you would get this deal if you just paid the ticket, you probably have to plead guilty in court. I would clear all this up beforehand though.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">