• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

First Speeding Ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kylezo

What is the name of your state? California

Last night I was pulled over for speeding, recorded as doing 87 in a 65. I was definitely speeding and I have no desire to avoid responsibility (I notice a lot of people frown upon that here :D ); I only want advice on minimizing my damage i.e. my insurance rates and/or points on my DMV record. I also got cited for not wearing a seatbelt which was definitely not the case, although its my word against the officers which is a losing battle most likely. I was wondering about my options and what good it would do to plead Nolo (is that the same as No Contest?) in keeping my insurance down (I am 21 years old). Also would it be possible to plead Nolo and/or go to traffic school for the speeding violation and pay for the safetly belt fine? Is this ticket treated as one judgement with 2 violations or would I make 2 seperate pleas/judgements?

I think I want to plead Nolo to avoid having my insurance go up/points on my record or go to traffic school but I don't know what I can do since there are 2 violations. Thanks for your time and consideration!

Last edited:

grahamswilliams

i did 83 in a 65. I went in with Guility with Explanation and the DA offered me 80 with $250 fine. I said no and went to the judge saying i am responsible, it was a clear day, clean licence etc etc. Got $100 reduced to 79 mph.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">