• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

First speeding ticket in North Carolina

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dju

Hi,
I've moved to North Carolina one month ago from France and i've been arrested for driving at 70mhp on a 45 mph zone (G.S. 20-141 (J1)).
The officer says it was 72mph but he wrote 70mph on the ticket.
Then he tells me i have to go to court and I have no ideas of how its work.
It's my first ticket in the US.

I'm really scared, what will be the potential punishment for this ?

I heard that speeding ticket may increase you car insurance, how does it work ?

The officer tells me that i can ask for a attorney to represent me ? Do i have to ?

Thank you so much for helping.

Just Blue

Hi,
I've moved to North Carolina one month ago from France and i've been arrested for driving at 70mhp on a 45 mph zone (G.S. 20-141 (J1)).
The officer says it was 72mph but he wrote 70mph on the ticket.
Then he tells me i have to go to court and I have no ideas of how its work.
It's my first ticket in the US.

I'm really scared, what will be the potential punishment for this ?

I heard that speeding ticket may increase you car insurance, how does it work ?

The officer tells me that i can ask for a attorney to represent me ? Do i have to ?

Thank you so much for helping.
You should hire an Attorney to assist you in this matter.

dju

You should hire an Attorney to assist you in this matter.
Yes, i think so considering I have no idea of how it work at the court :(

I really don't know what to do... In France, when you got a speeding ticket, you get some points on your licence, pay the fine and you're done.
Here... being asked to attend in court make it really "official"... and a bit scary too.

FlyingRon

The J1 indicates that you were cited for the class 3 misdemeanor version of this statute for being 15 over (72 vs. 70 makes no difference here).
$200 fine or up to 20 days in jail/community service. Unless you have a criminal history, you can not get jail. You still don't want this on your record.

Since jail is not on the table, the state won't pay for a public defender. Get an attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">