• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

First speeding ticket - worth fighting?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

callmesam

What is the name of your state? Michigan

Apologies for the length of this post and number of question marks. Obviously, I'm new. Any help is greatly appreciated.

At 9:00 on Sunday night I was pulled over and ticketed by a Michigan State Police officer for doing 94 in a 55. This was on a very rural 2 lane stretch of US 41 about 18 miles south of the MSP L'Anse outpost. Not proud of this at all...my roommate and I were heading back to school and since my flight came in late, we wanted to get back at a reasonable hour. Was cruising at 80-85 (traffic flow is usually 70), passed a few cars, went down a big hill, came close to 100, and just as I realized my speed Smokey appears out of nowhere 1/4 mile back in the rearview mirror. I am an 18 year old male and this is my first infraction of any kind, ever.

I must not have handled it well. The initial exchange went something like this:

Officer: Any idea why I pulled you over?
Me: ...Was I speeding?
Officer: You don't have any idea how fast you were going??
Me: Well, I do know I was well above the speed limit.
Officer: Ninety-four.
Me: Wow.
Officer: Why on earth were you going that fast?
Me: <excuse about getting back early enough>
Officer: (stops me) Okay.

While he ran my license and proof of insurance, my roommate and I talked to each other. We chuckled about how I had bragged of my perfect driving record just an hour ago. :rolleyes: Just then the officer came on his loudspeaker and said, "Do you think this is funny!?" I was completely shocked and finally managed a "No." We then sat in dead silence and did not so much as move until it was over. He came back to my car, handed me the ticket, explained the whole procedure, and left with a stern "Slow down."

At the next stop I examined the ticket. He wrote me up for the full 94 mph, with offense code 8051 (Exceeded Posted or Unposted Maximum Speed). Detection Device was "MR94", and under Remarks he wrote "MR-93-94-94", skipped a few lines, and wrote "Thought funny." I noticed he left blank Race, Height, Weight, Hair, and Eyes...does this matter? (Doubt it.)

What does this "MR" mean, and more importantly, what should I do? I have no idea what to plead or whether to challenge the ticket. Only denying responsibility will get me a hearing. It seems as though my ridiculous speed, demographic (college aged male), and officer's notes seal my fate. However, I am a first time offender his comment was not true. I pulled over immediately and was on my absolute best behavior when talking to him. While waiting for him, I simply chatted; I stopped immediately upon his "warning." But is this a case in which his word will beat out mine almost automatically? His actions seemed a bit harsh and unprofessional.

My concerns are threefold: the fine, points on my license, and insurance. If nothing else, I would pay a much smaller fine if the infraction was reduced to 20 over. How much likelier would this be if I simply showed up at court? There is an issue of time/distance as well--the courthouse is a 40 minute drive from school. I will be at home 500 miles away (still Michigan) for the entire week of Thanksgiving, too. Honestly, I might be okay with the whole incident were it not for "Thought funny." :mad:

Last edited:

Ozark_Sophist

The "though funny" comment doubles the points you will receive on your driving record. Your excuse that you were running late was probably enough. Next time, don't make any comments.

The following points are assessed for exceeding the speed limit on highways where the speed limit is &#8805;55 MPH if the offender has responded "with an explanation" to a civil infraction: 1 to 5 MPH over the limit-0 points; 6 to 10 MPH over the limit-1 point; 11 to 15 MPH over the limit-2 points; 16 to 25 MPH over the limit-3 points; and, &#8805;26 MPH over the limit-4 points. '257.629c

callmesam

Sounds like I should just plead guilty and pay. Ugh, 97th District is going to charge me over $300.

Are you saying that I will get 4*2 = 8 points? If so, please cite where it says the points get doubled. Does Michigan have anything such as traffic school to reduce points/insurance increase?

HomeGuru

Sounds like I should just plead guilty and pay. Ugh, 97th District is going to charge me over $300.

Are you saying that I will get 4*2 = 8 points? If so, please cite where it says the points get doubled. Does Michigan have anything such as traffic school to reduce points/insurance increase?
**A: you could plead stupidity.

callmesam

**A: you could plead stupidity.
I imagine they've seen enough stupidity in their day. :D

Back to my basic question, though. My options are:
1) Admit responsibility.
2) Admit responsibility with an explanation.
3) Have an informal hearing.
4) Have a formal hearing before a judge.

#4 is not an option with my time and money constraints. Will one of the others (#3?) give me a snowball's chance in hell of getting off with less than #1? And what of points being added to my license? 7+ points = another huge fine.

Ozark_Sophist

No, you get 4 points. Had you not given a response, you would have 2 points.

If you balance costs, you will find it beneficial to get an attorney. Find one who has an office in the same town as the court. You may not even have to ever appear in court.

ETA: The fines are cheap compared to future insurance premiums. Call around to gauge how much your insurance will increase. Multiply that amount by seven. From my experience, you are potentially looking at a couple thousand more in future insurance.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">