• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

First Speeding tkt in WI - resident of MN

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

amolvb

What is the name of your state? Resident of MN - ticket in WI

The tkt is for 80 in a 65 speed zone on I-94. I was overtaking two trucks (since the trucks were showering stones on my car and there was an awful stench coming from them) when the officer 'saw' me. After the overtake, I was already in the right lane and slowing down when the lights went on behind me. This was at 11:00 p.m. so I had no idea where the officer came from...I was issued a 4-pt 'citation' and a $181 fine.

Q1. WI is not a member of the DLC or the NRVC compacts however MN is a member of both. Will this tkt show up on my driving record and will this bump up my insurance?
Q2. The tkt mentions that I do not have to be in person and has a court address and a date and time. Both the tkt and the officer explained me that I can plead NOT GUILTY via mail. Question is do I have to plead NOT GUILTY upfront or can I just show up on the specified date and time and hope that the officer does not show up? Will the case be automatically dismissed if he doesn't show up?
Q3. Assuming he shows up, what are my chances with the following defense - Yes, I must have been over the limit since I was overtaking the trucks for the aforesaid reason. However, very respectfully I request the court for leniency since a.) this is my first violation and b.)I can prove from gas and food receipts 2hr and 3hr ago that I have been driving at the posted limit otherwise. Given this defense, what can I offer/expect? a.)Amend the citation to a non-moving violation (then it will not impact Insurance) or b.) Tone it down to 74 (instead of 80) or c.) Attend a driving school to take this off (Will I have to attend in WI or MN?) or All of the above?

What are my chances folks? Please advise. Thanks!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">