• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

First Ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

connor60

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North Carolina

Last night i was pulled over and given a ticket for 56 in a 40 zone. This is my first ticket, and i dont have any clue on what to do or where to start. Should I hire a lawyer or what? also how much will this most likely cost if i can get it dropped or anything

FlyingRon

You can pay the fine which will run a couple of hundred dollars or you can go to court. You get a one shot chance to duck the points on the conviction by asking for a PJC (prayer for judgement continued).

slwslw

defered adjudication

Call the prosecutor ASAP and ask for a defered adjudication, which means you pay a fine and maybe a surcharge but it stays off your record. Most states allow that, not sure about NC.

They will call the cop to find out if you were a jerk to him. If you were, forget it. If you were not a jerk, you will be much better off.

FlyingRon

Call the prosecutor ASAP and ask for a defered adjudication, which means you pay a fine and maybe a surcharge but it stays off your record. Most states allow that, not sure about NC.
That's what PJC is that I already mentioned. You don't get it from calling the prosecutor, you ask for it in court.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member

They will call the cop to find out if you were a jerk to him. If you were, forget it. If you were not a jerk, you will be much better off.
You obviously don't know so maybe you shouldn't be giving advice if it is just going to be conjecture and guessing.

slwslw

Flying Ron

Not sure about NC, but in many states you actually arrange it ahead of court with the prosecutor.

FlyingRon

Not sure about NC, but in many states you actually arrange it ahead of court with the prosecutor.
Why don't you stop throwing information that you are not sure of and is of course, almost always completely wrong. You can not get a PJC without going to court. There's nothing to arrange. If you are eligible for it, you can have it. There's no negotiating with the prosecutor that will have any effect on this.

And stop screwing with the fonts. Your misinformation doesn't merit putting things in bold.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">