• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

first ticket, 81 in a 55, prayer for judgment?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lifeisgoodman

What is the name of your state? NC

I am 19 years old and have not gotten any previous tickets or citations of any sort and was pulled today coming home from a friend's lake house on Gaston. I was unfamiliar with the roads and the speed limits and there was very light traffic so I guess I was going a little fast, when i looked it was about 70, give or take 1 or 2. I was on a highway (US-1) so I thought the speed limit was 65, but then i see a trooper with lights on come up behind me, so i pulled over, and this being my first time, I had no idea how to react. Of course he said "Do you know how fast you were going?" and i didn't want to suggest a number (though i was assuming 70 a reasonable estimate) so I just said that I didn't know. He asked for my license and whatnot and came back with a ticket saying that he clocked me at 81 and he told me my court date. I was speechless and didn't know what to say, though he did say that I should talk to the judge and maybe he could work something out.

As this is my first ever experience with this, it is slightly frightening. What do I need to do? Right now I am looking at a Class 2 Misdemeanor going greater than 15 over. Can I ask for a Prayer for Judgment? Do you think they will negotiate the speed and fine down? What should I expect? I have no idea. Can someone please help me out?

lwpat

At this speed I would retain an attorney. You will be getting lots of mail from various ones.

CJenn1888

do I not stand any chance without an attorney? What would be the likely outcome/expense with and without an attorney?
i am not an attorney nor do I have any legal background so please take what I say at your own risk. I am currently 19 and also received my first ticket about a year ago. A ticket for going 60 in a 25 construction zone. I represented myself in court, dressed up, and pleaded for defensive driving school. The judge agreed to drop the charges so long as I went to the three hour driving class which cost about $150 dollars. The only catch is if I received another ticket within 1year the charges of the first ticket become active again. It’s your call, quite a few of my friends street race and receive quite a few tickets and swear by an attorney.

Also I live in the state of Michigan

Ozark_Sophist

Get a lawyer. At 16mph over, you are close to the threshold. A lawyer can plead it down, perhaps to a level you won't get points assessed.

mrgonzo

20 over a big deal? License suspension? I am not from North Carolina or familiar with their laws, but that would be a lot different than most states. ie. florida, nevada, washington, etc.

I have tickets in several states, 25 over is the norm for me, it raised my rates slightly, the states that had points took about 3, others didn't care. License suspension for 25 over!? never heard of that. But again, perhaps North Carolina is strict? (do your homework and see how many points it is - if its only 3 or 5 out of 12 then who cares).

As far as an attorney, just be careful Ive gone to court and seen traffic attorneys in action, they dont question the officer they dont do jack; again, not sure if thats the norm, but thats just what Ive seen. That said I have a traffic attorney right now going to court for me who probably sucks, but I dont believe in paying the ticket, and I make enought to where going to court is cheaper via attorney.

Good Luck.

Last edited:

FlyingRon

20 over a big deal? License suspension? I am not from North Carolina or familiar with their laws, but that would be a lot different than most states. ie. florida, nevada, washington, etc.
This is why we make you say what state you are in. Your experience is not valid for everywhere. Both NC and Virginia have potentially harsh penalties for excessive speeding so yours is obviously not the universal attitude of the state legislatures.

The poster's state has statute 20-16.1 that kicks in at 15 over or 80 total that mandatse a 30 day suspension on the first offense.

In Virigina, go fast enough and you can expect jail time. Had one of my employees spend 4 days in the drunk tank (suspended from 60 days) for speeding.

This is why we make you say what state you are in. Your experience is not valid for everywhere. Both NC and Virginia have potentially harsh penalties for excessive speeding so yours is obviously not the universal attitude of the state legislatures.

The poster's state has statute 20-16.1 that kicks in at 15 over or 80 total that mandatse a 30 day suspension on the first offense.

In Virigina, go fast enough and you can expect jail time. Had one of my employees spend 4 days in the drunk tank (suspended from 60 days) for speeding.
FlyingRon is right; in VA 20 over the limit or over 80 no matter the limit and you can get up to a year in jail, as well as have your licence suspended for up to a year. NC is only slightly more lenient.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">