• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

First ticket; do I need an attorney?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JamesD8

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida, (Fort Lauderdale).
My daughter was in an accident, (https://forum.freeadvice.com/auto-accidents-vehicle-claims-1/auto-accident-whats-procedure-follow-626065.html). The officer cited her for "Failure to use due care". He was almost apologetic when he wrote the ticket, saying the city of Fort Lauderdale wants someone cited at accidents whenever possible. Money maker, I suppose.
Anyway, her first ticket. Seems somewhat vague. She pled not guilty.
Neither of us have ever experienced traffic court previously. Is this something we can handle ourselves? Or will a judge see no lawyer and outsmart us? In the meantime, received a notification in the mail, returning our not guilty plea, stating "The issuing law enforcement agency has not yet filed on this citation or it was returned to them for correction." It goes on to say we need to contact their office every other week to verify that the citation has/has not been entered.
Opinions appreciated. Thank you.

FlyingRon

YOU can't do anything other than helping her obtain an attorney. She is an adult. With advise of counsel, she can determine what to plead, etc...

Judges are not in the business of "outs******g" defendants. They are neutral.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">