• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

First Time Speeding Ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AcomaLegend

What is the name of your state? Virginia (that's where I got the ticket, I live in MD)

Situation: No prior convictions, no prior moving violations. First time speeding ticket. Officer said that I was going 90 in a 55.

I got a call at work, I am going to be a father, so I left work early to pick up my sweetheart in celebration (I guess) of the news. Relatively new to the area and I got turned around on thebeltway, anxious and mentally frustrated. I didn't even notice the officer behind me, when I did I pulled over. I was speeding, I admit. But I was under duress... and advice so that I don't get points on my license and have my insurance rates hiked?

seniorjudge

You were not under duress (look up that word).

In any event, go to the place where you are supposed to pay the ticket and ask about having it amended to a non-moving violation. It will probably cost you more but you will not have points and you will not have your insurance raised.

Your story is pretty common and pretty bad; don't use it...just get the facts and don't try using this story for sympathy.

AcomaLegend

You are right, I wasn't under duress, just stress. My apologies. However, the story, as cliche or bad as it may seem (can we say "the dog ate my homework?") it is true. My employer has on record why that I took a half day, and they all know why. But your supposition is that this "excuse" will be ill favored?

I do thank you for your advice, and I will look into it. Thank you.

seniorjudge

Speeding, not paying your taxes, running a stop sign, etc. do not require the government to prove intent.

You either did it or did not do it; there is no middle ground.

About 25 to 30 per cent of all tickets tried by a court are thrown out; so the odds are not in your favor if you do plead not guilty and have a trial. Especially in your case since you do admit to speeding.

Going 90 miles an hour on the freeway after you had been told you had fathered a child is a bizarre reaction; do not use that story.

AcomaLegend

Yes, it was farifax county. I just called a lawyer, rather just got off of the phone with hi,. He was kind enough to speak with me for 30 minutes for no fee. But he would charge $600 for the case. I can't afford that right now.

In any event... he did advise that the judge for this trial is a fair one and advised that I tell her what was going on in my head when she asks. I did tell the officer when he pulled me over that I was lost, and that I was trying to get to my gf, she just told me that I was going to be a father. This is no excuse for speeding, I do understand, I don;t know how fast I was going, but I don't presume to claim innocent. I am, hopefully, looking at a pleas bargain. Though I am about to take your advice, Senior Judge, and call the clerk to see about it.

lwpat

In any event, go to the place where you are supposed to pay the ticket and ask about having it amended to a non-moving violation. It will probably cost you more but you will not have points and you will not have your insurance raised.
This is not a speeding ticket, it is a reckless driving charge. There is no hope of getting a 90mph ticket reduced to a nonmoving, especially in Fairfax.

600 is very reasonable attorney fee. If I were you I would find the money.
If it is reduced to speeding MD will not give you points on your license but you will get insurance points. This could easily cost you much more than the attorney fee.

PM me with the attorney's name. Thanks

Pay attention to the advise to take this serious and get a lawyer. Someone I work with didn't and was sentanced to a couple weekends in jail for a 90 in a 55 conviction. (He is a smart a$$ and I'm sure that didn't help ;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">