• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

First Traffic Violation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kemosabe24

What is the name of your state? Indiana

I have been driving 8 years, I turn 25 April 8, 2005, without getting pulled over and have never been in a wreck. I got pulled over for going 65 in a 45 contruction zone on a Sunday afternoon, when no one is working. I do believe the cop had every right to pull me over, but does 8 years of good driving mean anything? It's a shame when the cop obviously looks up my plate number and see my problem free history and still writes me a ticket. It's just frustrating to no end. I do my best to head the laws and be a safe driver. Do I not warrant a warning for a first violation? I don't think I deserve a warning, but seriously, 8 years free of problems and the cop writes me a ticket. Does anyone think I can win if I chose to fight this in court?

lwpat

Construction Zone Ticket

Often fines and points are doubled for construction zone tickets. Check with the clerk of court to be sure you know the consequences before just paying the ticket. If you go to court they are likely to reduce your ticket, especially if you bring a certifed copy of your clean record. Some judges take that into consideration, others don't.

Tori8

certified copy

do you have to go to the dmv in person to get a certified copy of your driving record in PA or can you get it via the internet or mail?

wirry1422

Its really irrelevent that you have no tickets on your driving record. It is totally discretionary on the part of the cop whether to give you a warning or a citation. With that being said, most departments have a zero tolerance policy on speeding in construction zones, which means they only give citations for that offense, no warnings. And it is likely that the fines will indeed be double that of a normal speeding ticket, and the points on your driving record will also be increased. Additionally, speeding 20 mph over in a construction zone is not merely a "regular" traffic ticket, it is considered a "serious" traffic ticket, on par with passing an unloading school bus, which usually means a mandatory court appearance. Also, look forward to a car insurance rate increase. Finally, it is unlikely the judge will reduce the points/fine on this type of traffic offense, but you can always throw yourself on your sword, so to speak, and beg for mercy as this is your first traffic offense, but don't count on getting any relief; also try asking for a reduction in points if you attend traffic school. Construction zone speeding is taken very seriously by the authorities due to the many innocent construction workers and motorists who are killed every year by reckless driving in construction zones. Everyone gets a first ticket, but you picked a whopper. BTW, to a traffic cop, pulling someone over who has a clean driving record dosen't mean that they never break the traffic laws, it just means they were never caught, until now.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">