• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

First Violations... Can I get them reduced?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DillyP96

I am 17 years old. I have only an Instructional Permit for driving, and live in the state of Washington.

About a week ago, I was getting gas for my Mom at our local gas station, not even half a mile from my house. It was at night, and stupid me forgot to turn on my headlights- and a stupid traffic cop pulled me over. He hit me with 3 violations, adding up to a whopping $798- one for headlights not being on at $124, driving with only a permit at $124, and driving without insurance at $550. After talking to my Mom about it, I may be able to fight the Insurance claim. I am technically on my mothers insurance coverage, but I am not sure if I would still be covered driving alone. If I am technically on her policy, can I possibly get the charge revoked? If not, could I still fight the charge for a reduced amount? This is a first time anything for me, first time getting pulled over. It was not even a half mile from my house. I hope it can get at least reduced- $800 is a lot for a 17 year old.

Also, would it be worth it to mention the odd behavior of the officer? He questioned my age despite seeing it on my record, not believing me, and writing down the wrong address where he pulled me over on the ticket. Hopefully I can get it reduced, just wanted any advice. Thanks!

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I am 17 years old. I have only an Instructional Permit for driving, and live in the state of Washington.

About a week ago, I was getting gas for my Mom at our local gas station, not even half a mile from my house. It was at night, and stupid me forgot to turn on my headlights- and a stupid traffic cop pulled me over. He hit me with 3 violations, adding up to a whopping $798- one for headlights not being on at $124, driving with only a permit at $124, and driving without insurance at $550. After talking to my Mom about it, I may be able to fight the Insurance claim. I am technically on my mothers insurance coverage, but I am not sure if I would still be covered driving alone. If I am technically on her policy, can I possibly get the charge revoked? If not, could I still fight the charge for a reduced amount? This is a first time anything for me, first time getting pulled over. It was not even a half mile from my house. I hope it can get at least reduced- $800 is a lot for a 17 year old.

Also, would it be worth it to mention the odd behavior of the officer? He questioned my age despite seeing it on my record, not believing me, and writing down the wrong address where he pulled me over on the ticket. Hopefully I can get it reduced, just wanted any advice. Thanks!
The cop wasn't stupid, you were. Own it. If you have only a permit, you shouldn't have been driving. You may very well lose your permit due to YOUR stupidity. There is a reason why an instructional permit requires a licensed adult in the car with you -- to attempt to prevent you from being stupid. Why did you believe you had a right to take the car by yourself?

You might not get it reduced.

racer72

After talking to my Mom about it, I may be able to fight the Insurance claim. I am technically on my mothers insurance coverage, but I am not sure if I would still be covered driving alone.
The coverage would only be in effect if you were driving legally. You were not so you were not covered. Exact same thing happened to my daughter and grand daughter in Puyallup.

commentator

I count about six or seven "stupids" you have applied to that dumb officer who had the temerity to pull you over when you were driving in the dark with no headlights, who questioned you repeatedly when you had already told him your age, who didn't spell your name right on the citation. And gee, like, you know, $800 is a lot of money for a kid like me to have to ask momma to pay.

No, your mother's insurance would not have covered you, for the above stated reasons. And if you go before a judge and try to fight this, or get the fine lowered, I suggest a complete revision of your attitude. It is classic immature teenager behavior to think that if I am in the right, (or even if I'm not, it was a mistake, okay? I forgot to turn on the lights, get it? Forgot!)and I can show this person was an incompetent boob, and he made some errors on the citation, and technically the law states blah blah blah, they HAVE to do what I am arguing they should do. This approach will fly like a lead balloon in front of any judge in any court.

Your best chance of getting any mercy at all on this ticket is going in front of the court and saying, "Yes Your Honor, I realize I made a big mistake. I have learned an important lesson and I will not do it again. I appreciate Officer Gunderfutz stopping me before I had an accident." All this said without irony or attitude.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">