• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Five year old speeding violation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ddave

What is the name of your state? NY

== New York State ==

Somewhere about 4-5 years ago I was going 75 in 55 on I-87 (7 mile marker, if anyone cares). As I passed a sharp turn, I saw a trooper's ride parked in the right shoulder. I broke, changed to right lane, reduced to 20. As he turned his lights on, I stopped completely and took the keys out of ignition. A few minutes later I was back on my way with a 73/55 in my laps. He also urged me to appear in court and plea not guilty ( we had a friendly conversation, very uncommon in the vasinity of NYC )

When I came for the required court appearance, there was no one in the courthouse. The clerk I found later said that there is no session scheduled for the day. When I suggested that perhaps this might mean the charges should be dismissed (since I came while the prosecutor and the justice did not). The clerk prompted me to plea not guilty and leave the ticket with him.

Now, four - five years later, after I changed residency 3 times, I got a notice at my old address with a court date.

Question 1 : Is there a statute of limitations for these types of cases ( I'm inclided to say no, but would like to hear your opinion)?

Question 2: Should the charges have been dismissed when I appeared in court, but procecution did not. ( I.e. is what it possible that the Trooper gave me means to get away with the violation by appointing a wrong date) ?

Question 3: Whould it be stupid not to show up for the hearing and say I did not get a notice, since it was sent to an address different from the one on my DL?

lwpat

Send them a deposition request. With it being that old it the trooper may not bother and they will have to dismiss. Send it CRRR.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">