• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

FL Driving while license suspended

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

getitatfreds

Florida, Palm Beach County
I was pulled over with my brothers tag on my car, I did not have insurance and my license was suspended. I was ticketed for the license and tag.
Okay, it gets worse. I was just released from prison about two months prior for violating probation I was on for a crime back in 1993. My car had been sitting at my brothers shop for 18 months while I was gone.
When I got out I found out that the building where my brothers shop was had been sold and the new owner said if my car was still there in the morning he would tow it.
I put my brothers trailer tag on it and tried to get it home and sure enough I was stopped.
I was told by the officer that I could not pay the citation; that I had to appear in court. I postponed my courtdate to get my license straight and then had my appendix removed a week before my new court date.
I called the clerk to tell her I had just gotten out of the hospital, I was on pain medication with staples in and couldn't make my court date. She told me to fax her a written request to postpone again as they only let me postpone this kind of court one time.
Well you guessed it, I failed to get that fax to her.
This is my first driving on suspended license and my first failure to appear. I want to get my license back before I try to get a court date now. I don't even know why my license was suspended to begin with. I have since sold the car and don't own a vehicle in my name so I can't show that I went and bought insurance and tag as well.
I guess I need to know if this driving on suspended is a felony, even though it's my first one, due to my prior felonies un-related to traffic. Also if what I think about getting my license before I request a new court date is my best approach or if I should just go turn myself in to the jail as I'm sure there is a warrent by now. How do I request a new court date and will I be arrested at the driver license place or the place I pay my fine for the original suspension.
I know I have really screwed this up and made a bigger mess of it than it ever needed to become. I really want to take care of it now though and just really need any advice any of you may have to offer.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">