• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

FL Statute 316.074 (2)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

drfitz99

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Florida

I received a ticket for "cutting across to avoid a traffic control device." The circumstances were that I wanted to make a left turn at a light but was unable to enter the left turn lane because of traffic. Instead, I made a right turn into the corner gas station and then exited the station onto the cross road, waited in line for the light to change to green and then proceeded straight through the same intersection at which I had wanted to turn left. The light was still green when I turned into the gas station, so I don't see how I was guilty of trying to avoid a traffic control device as I could have easily turned right at the light, pulled into the business and turned around.

Did the officer misinterpret the intent of the statute, and is this "win-able" in traffic court as there was no intent on my part to avoid the light?...simply wanted to turn left and couldn't do so due to traffic.

justalayman

(2) No person shall drive any vehicle from a roadway to another roadway to avoid obeying the indicated traffic control indicated by such traffic control device.

what you did do did violate the law as written. You did avoid the light as you cut the corner.

Will a judge agree you violated the intent of the law? No idea but I would think it worth a shot.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">