• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Flashed by red light camera

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

meister74

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Do you have to actually go through the intersection to be in violation of running a red light?

Here's the situation: I was driving in Los Angeles early Sunday morning, and was going to turn right at an intersection. As I approached the intersection, the light was already red, so I stopped to check oncoming traffic and I got flashed. I checked around me and saw that my front tires were over the first crosswalk line, but I'm 99% certain the wheels were not past the second crosswalk line. While I was checking my location, I was flashed a second time. Dazed and surprised by the bright lights at 2:30am, I didn't move forward until the light turned green, so both photos should show me in the same place.

So my question is: since I didn't fully enter the intersection, will I be getting a ticket? Or should I start saving up that $400+?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Do you have to actually go through the intersection to be in violation of running a red light?

Here's the situation: I was driving in Los Angeles early Sunday morning, and was going to turn right at an intersection. As I approached the intersection, the light was already red, so I stopped to check oncoming traffic and I got flashed. I checked around me and saw that my front tires were over the first crosswalk line, but I'm 99% certain the wheels were not past the second crosswalk line. While I was checking my location, I was flashed a second time. Dazed and surprised by the bright lights at 2:30am, I didn't move forward until the light turned green, so both photos should show me in the same place.

So my question is: since I didn't fully enter the intersection, will I be getting a ticket? Or should I start saving up that $400+?
You SHOULD be getting the ticket - you DID stop past the first line. You are supposed to stop BEFORE the line.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">