• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Flaw on Ticket?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sadnatlanta

What is the name of your state? Georgia

I was was issued a speeding ticket under a school zone code. Traffic flow was moderate. The ticket lists the violation as detected by laser, 49 mph, traveling southbound right lane. I was actually traveling in the left lane and had 2 witnesses in the car who would confirm by affidavit our path. There were cars in front of me as well as next to me. Is this enough to get the case dismissed??

fedcop110

There were cars in front of me as well as next to me.
With LIDAR (laser) the, "I was in a pack of cars," defense does not work. With the LIDAR the unit sends out a laser that the officer targets onto a specific car, much as if he were shooting the vehicle. The LIDAR can only be used in stationary speed enforcement due to this sighting in. The officer is able to know exactly which vehicle's speed he is detecting. There is still a need for a tracking history, however, it is not as involved as with Radar. The lane that you were traveling in will probably not make a lot of difference.

S

seniorjudge

sadnatlanta said:
What is the name of your state? Georgia

I was was issued a speeding ticket under a school zone code. Traffic flow was moderate. The ticket lists the violation as detected by laser, 49 mph, traveling southbound right lane. I was actually traveling in the left lane and had 2 witnesses in the car who would confirm by affidavit our path. There were cars in front of me as well as next to me. Is this enough to get the case dismissed??
What lane you were travelling in is not an element of the offense, so therefore the officer's mistake is irrelevant.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">