• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

"FLD ANSWER SUMMONS" in NYS ... just rec'd this in the mail, any advice?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jove

What is the name of your state?

NY

I just rec'd a notice of driver's license suspension due to an old ticket I rec'd in July of 1999.
I'm sorry, but at this pt. I cannot remember if I ever even got said ticket or what it was for?

I would just like to know what my options are.

The ticket is over 8 yrs. old.

How much of a fine would I be looking at?

Can I legally fight this ticket?

What should I do?

Any and all advice is humbly greatly appreciated!What is the name of your state?

FlyingRon

If you actually received this ticket, there is nothing to fight this time. Your time to contest it was years ago. Having not bothered to do so, they found you guilty and now you owe the fine plus penalties/interest. Once you clear the ticket with the issuing agency you'll need to go to the DMV and get your license reinstated (that will probably take a fee as well).

jove

Thanks Ron.

Isn't there any kind of statute of limitations due to the length of time?

If not, does anyone have any advice on how to plea bargain to a lesser fee?
What do I ask for and is there a good way to go about it?

Thanks again...

FlyingRon

No, a statute of limitations is the time between the time the crime is committed/detected and the time prosecution starts.

No, you can't get it reduced at this point. You had a good chance of that if you'd responded in a timely fashion, but now it's cast in stone.

jove

Update

Well I scored pretty well.
My license was not yet suspended (it would have been on Jan 8),
so the judge saw my clean record (and my well-behaved 4 yr old!)
and reduced the ticket to a non-point violation.
The orig. ticket was only for driving in the HOV lane anyway,
albeit from 9 yrs ago.

Anyway, I walked outta there with no points and a $55 ticket total.

;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">