• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fleeing a DUI charge

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

TheGup

In 1996 while residing in Colorado, I was charged with DUI, I soon after moved from Colorado to California and did not take care of this, did not plea/did not go to court to handle. 1) is there a statue of limitation on this 2) if not, what is the best way for me to handle this? Thanks for any advise you may render.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face=" Arial, Verdana, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TheGup:
In 1996 while residing in Colorado, I was charged with DUI, I soon after moved from Colorado to California and did not take care of this, did not plea/did not go to court to handle. 1) is there a statue of limitation on this 2) if not, what is the best way for me to handle this? Thanks for any advise you may render.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

First of all, you know there's a Warrant for your arrest. If you get stopped in California, you'll be arrested and, perhaps, extradited to Colorado. Which brings me to your question. The Statute of Limitations never runs out while you're across State lines. That's why Ms. Soelea, of SLA fame, was extradited back to California from, I think, Michigan, to face her charges and go through trial, after 25 years since the alleged crimes for which she is charged.

At some point, either voluntarily by you, or through arrest, you're going to have to "face the music." But, when you do, be aware that the "music" is going to be very shrill and costly, both in terms of money, and in terms of jail time. You will not get bail because you have already shown yourself to be a "flight risk" and you'll be in jail all the while awaiting trial. Your sentence on the original crime of DUI or DWI will be enhanced because of the warrant; so you've comitted two crimes.

My suggestion to you would be to contact, and pay, a Colorado attorney, tell him/her your story from California, and have that attorney make a deal with the D.A. for punishment for you, in exchange for your voluntary return to Colorado.

There's no way out, because eventually, you will be caught.

Good luck.

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

[This message has been edited by I AM ALWAYS LIABLE (edited May 17, 2000).]

ALawyer

You got some good advice but I would ask the Colorado DUI defense lawyer if there is any possible loophole -- sometimes prosecutrors and police foul up, or OJ would be behind bars now. Also, as a practical matter, many states will not extradite for a relatively minor offense as it is not worth it, particularly if the lawyer offers an excuse for your immature action and you have a clean record.

------------------
This is intended as general information only and NOT LEGAL ADVICE. You are not my client, and I have no obligation of any kind to you. To retain a lawyer, go to http://AttorneyPages.com

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">