• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Florida Speeding Violation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Florida Viking

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I was traveling on the PolK Parkway (toll road) on 12/26/2011 going the posted speed limit of 65mph.

I came upon a toll booth and proceeded to slow down to around 45mph through the toll (I have a "Sun Pass" so I don't have to stop and pay toll). I immediately began to speed up again exiting the toll and a Florida Highway Patrol was parked right after the toll between two Sun Pass lanes facing the same direction and immediately pulled me over for doing 53mph in a 25mph zone... the posted speed limit at the toll - FL State Statute 316.187(2)(c). My fine is $279.00. Under "Other Violations or Comments Pertaining to Offense" it says Unlawful Speed Speed/Roadways (Requires Speeds)

I have been told I could fight this ticket because there is a law stating the speed limit cannot be reduced that quickly from 65mph down to 25mph. The sign before the toll booth says 25mph and is painted on the road at the booth also.

By the way, I am considered a "Safe Driver" on my license and I have not had a ticket in 20 years. Also, this was a personal vehicle (Camaro), not a commercial vehicle.

Should I consider fighting this?

Last edited:

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
By the way, I am considered a "Safe Driver" on my license and I have not had a ticket in 20 years. Also, this was a personal vehicle (Camaro), not a commercial vehicle.
Not sure why you think this comment is meaningful. Your past record and the type of vehicle you were driving is not really relevant.

Do you know for sure that there was not an intermediate speed limit prior to the toll plaza, i.e. between the 65 and 25 zones?

HighwayMan

I have been told I could fight this ticket because there is a law stating the speed limit cannot be reduced that quickly from 65mph down to 25mph...
Whoever told you should provide you with more information.

I just checked the Florida Statutes regarding speed limits and can find no such restriction. It would seem that based on what I read the the speed limit is valid as long as it was properly posted.

The Florida driver's manual only says this:

Observe and obey the posted speed signs as there may be frequent changes from area to area along the selected roads and highways.

Last edited:

csi7

You would need to take pictures of the area where you received the ticket, use the google map to show an ariel view for reference as well.

Be professional, calm, steady voice when presenting your case to the judge.

Practice in front of a mirror until you are comfortable, and keep a written timeline to help you keep to the facts that relate to the violations.

Best wishes.

HighwayMan

You would need to take pictures of the area where you received the ticket, use the google map to show an ariel view for reference as well.

Be professional, calm, steady voice when presenting your case to the judge.

Practice in front of a mirror until you are comfortable, and keep a written timeline to help you keep to the facts that relate to the violations.

Best wishes.
What does this have to do with any possible rules regarding posted speed limits?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">