• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Following Too Close

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SallySueSo

What is the name of your state? North Carolina

Last month I was pulled over for following too close. I was driving a safe distance behind the vehicle infront of me when I hit a pot hole and my soda proceeded to fall on the floor and start spilling, under me. I looked down to see where it was and lowered myself enough so that I could see the top of the car infront and the general direction in which I was going. Upon looking up, the car infront of me had slowed down considerably and I hit my brakes pretty hard. I then realized that an officer was coming down the hill behind me with his lights on. He asked me when the last time I took driver's ed was and... he wrote me up for "following more closely than is reasonable." I just went to the magistrate today and have a court date in June. By explaining the situation to the judge, do you believe that I will have my case dismissed? If not, please offer a suggestion.

snostar

You were at fault and you weren't paying attention. I have never heard of a ticket being dismissed for simply being honest, expect some sort of consequence.

SallySueSo

I agree that I was at fault, but my "following too closely" consisted of less than two seconds. It is not as if I was on his tail for the duration of my drive. It was but a couple of moments. Secondly, I am a delivery driver and take much pride in my driving safety. I follow the speed limit and obey the traffic laws. This is also my first offense. I am in high school and have a deal with my parents that if I am charged with a ticket they will hand me the insurance bill. I am still paying for my car and there is no way I can pay for the car and insurance. Would stating this help?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">