• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Following too close??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rugbyduck

What is the name of your state? Oregon

I rearended a gal after she slammed on her brakes to avoid hitting the car in front of her. Found to be at fault. Where i have a problem is that police were called by someone in traffic...minor damage, really no need for the call. Officer arriving said that when they are called to an accident scene, department policy says they MUST write a ticket. Insurance rates already went up due to accident...best way to fight it in court?:confused:

racer72

Nothing in your post suggests the ticket was illegal or improper. Best bet is to try to negotiate the ticket down to a non moving violation.

rugbyduck

Didn't ask for the flames...but thanks!;) I suppose I am not saying "hey, not guilty" but rather it was an accident...20 mph in traffic, was 2 car lengths between and did not react fast enough. Rather than the commentary, I'd appreciate some advise on how to pursue without it going on my record. Company I work for is not happy since I have a CDL and drive for a living.

rugbyduck

Best bet is to try to negotiate the ticket down to a non moving violation.
How is this done? Better to ask for traffic school if the have it? Push come to shove (no pun intended) yes, I was at fault. Not an arguement with that...but...

cepe10

What is the name of your state? Oregon

I rearended a gal after she slammed on her brakes to avoid hitting the car in front of her. Found to be at fault. Where i have a problem is that police were called by someone in traffic...minor damage, really no need for the call. Officer arriving said that when they are called to an accident scene, department policy says they MUST write a ticket. Insurance rates already went up due to accident...best way to fight it in court?:confused:
You could show that the pavement was worn smooth or there was oil or other foreign substances on the road... You could bring up that stopping in the travelway was illegal as well and the root cause of the accident....

FWIW, this happened recently to one of my inspectors and the charge was dropped when he showed up for court and provided proof the damages were taken care of.

racer72

If you hit the car in front of you, you were TOO CLOSE. Pay the ticket, deal with the increase in insurance rates, and from now on pay attention to the road.
If you were paying attention, just like the OP wasn't, you would have noticed my post was directed towards one person and it wasn't the OP and it definitely wasn't you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">