• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Following too close?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jhf0551

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I was driving on a 2-lane highway with a speed limit of 55mph yesterday morning. It was a clear day. When I passed a small town, a police officer began to follow my car. He followed me for more than 10 miles before I caught up with the car in the front. At that time, I was using cruise control and my speed was 50mph. The car in my front drove at merely 40mph. As I was looking for a good place to overpass that car, the police stopped me and told me that I was "following too close" to the front car.

I found this very annoying. The officer followed me for a long time and it seems that he was deliberately finding a "flaw" on me. I read the state traffic law 316.0895 and it says this law should not be applied for overtaking. Another problem is, the officer came from behind, how could he measure the distance between me and the car in the front?

I plan to fight back at the court. But how can I dispute? Thanks in advance!

I_Got_Banned

I read the state traffic law 316.0895 and it says this law should not be applied for overtaking.
Depending on how long you were "following too closely", the exclusion in 316.0895 might not apply. It all depends on how the officer testifies.

Also, saying "I was following too close as I was waiting for a place to pass" will not help your case at all.
Another problem is, the officer came from behind, how could he measure the distance between me and the car in the front?
"Following too closely" does not have to be an exact measurement. It can be easily determined by looking around your car and through your windows.

jhf0551

Thank you sir!

I plan to fight back on this case. What factors do you think are important for me? Thanks again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">