• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Following too close ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Akop

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California.

Yesterday on the way back from the beach I was driving on a 1 lane road UPHILL. Speed limit was 55 mph all the way for about 5 miles. There is a jeep in front of me and an Audi in front of the jeep equally spaced apart about 7 car lengths. We approach a passing lane and the sign says "SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT." So the jeep moves to the right and the Audi remains in the same lane as me, which is the left lane. We both pass the jeep, the audi also goes into the right lane, so i sped up from around 47mph to 53mph, still keeping it under the speed limit while i pass the Audi. Audi gets behind me Jeep is still in the right lane. Right as the 2 lanes start merging the jeep speeds up in the right lane and cuts in front of me and presses the brakes right as we approach the top of the hill, I press my brakes also and a cop was hiding at the crest of the hill and follows me and cites me for "following too close". He just asked for license and registration, goes to his car and writes the ticket. I didn't even have a chance to explain what happened.

Im 19 years old, been driving for a year in a half and this is my first ticket. And I have no clue what to do. Is it worth fighting, do I actually have a chance? And also the place i got pulled over was about 50 miles from my house, can i call and change the court location to one that's local to me?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">