• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Following too closely

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

afazel

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia

Two weeks ago, I was driving and bumped the car in front of me. There were no significant damages to either vehicle so the lady said there was no problem and said she wasn't going to call her insurance. There was a cop on the scene, however, and he wrote me a ticket for following too closely.

Now, I don't necessarily want to fight it unless I can win, but I would like to have it dropped to something much less significant. What are my options?

This happened in the city of Milton in Fulton County.

The Occultist

Well, you can't fight it; I'd say that rear-ending somebody is definitive of "following too closely." As for having it dropped to a lesser charge, you need to realize that there isn't some special legal statute that compels the courts to be more lenient with you, it's essentially a gift from them, so there's no real legal advice to offer. If you have a clean driving record, bring that in with you and perhaps that'll give them more to consider as for as showing that leniency.

As always, I must recommend using the aid of an attorney. A local attorney knows exactly what the courts want to hear, and as such present the highest potential for yielding the most favorable results. Many attorneys will offer free/cheap consultations, so you should take advantage of this and sit down with a couple to see what insight they may have to offer.

afazel

Thanks. I'm checking out TixNix.com at the moment and they have recommended Troy Hendrick (The Law Offices of Troy P. Hendrick and Associates in Atlanta, Georgia | DUI | Traffic Tickets | Commercial Drivers | Drug Cases) for me. I'll speak with them and see what it may end up costing. If it's the same or not much more than the ticket, I'll go with that. If not, I'll go to court myself and speak with the judge. I'm a pretty polite and articulate person, and that has helped me with other incidents in the past (all non-moving type incidents).

The Occultist

I wish you the best and hope things work out as smoothly as possible.

As far as ascertaining costs of the lawyer, do note that the costs you may endure not using a lawyer, on top of the fines you may face, could also include future costs in the form of increased premiums with your insurance company. Sometimes a seemingly overpriced attorney can actually save you money in the long run, which is certainly why I recommend speaking with more than just one attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">