• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

foolishly passing a school bus

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

fireman413

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana

I recently recieved a summons to court. for passing a school bus. the school bus pulled over to the side of the road, put hazard flashers on, i proceeded to pass it thinking it was ok. just before passing it completely the stop sign came out. but all the police officer saw was me passing with the sign out. he wrote me the summons, but didnt sign it or put his badge number on it. but gave me a court date. what do i do.

FlyingRon

If their is an option on it to pay in advance of the court date, due that.
If their is not, then show up at court neatly dressed, no gum, tongue or mouth piercings, hands out of pockets, politely refer to the judge as "your honor" and see what results.

FlyingRon

It looks like it's a misdemeanor in Indiana. You can get up to $1000 in fines and even go to jail (although I suspect that isn't likely). I don't recommend people mess with anything that might result in jail time. Call a lawyer in the county where you are going to court and check with them.

Alex23

If their is an option on it to pay in advance of the court date, due that.
If their is not, then show up at court neatly dressed, no gum, tongue or mouth piercings, hands out of pockets, politely refer to the judge as "your honor" and see what results.
This is good advice. I'd like to add:
Pull up your pants.
Take your hat off.
Bring a library book with you. You don't have to read it, but the Judge might think that you have been to a library. It will add a little to your image.

fireman413

is it still legal even though the police officer didnt sign it. or is that just a myth.

because i heard they wont be able to say who wrote me the ticket.

just something i heard. and figured id ask.

FlyingRon

If you show up in court and no cop shows up to say they witnessed the crime and wrote you up, then you will get off.

Otherwise it is a myth.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">