• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Found 4 errors on ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bobw927

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? New York

Last sat I was on rt-17 in Bergen County NJ and got pulled over for 72 in a 55
17 MPH over the limit. My first Speeder, So after I notice 1st mistake-the officer puts my correct lic# but puts NJ as my state. Second mistake-Then puts correct vehicle info but puts NJ as my state. Third mistake- Puts statute # as 39:4-98 which relates to vehicles 20 MPH and over and leaves Ordinance BLANK. Forth mistake-on the officer's signature he RE-wrote over part of his name and you can Clearly see all of this Perfectly on MY copy. Also he used Radar on a rainy day which I belive can be affected and is on the ticket for road conditions. Please Advise Thanks.

Last edited:

Curt581

bobw927 said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? New York
Last sat I was on rt-17 in Bergen County NJ and got pulled over for 72 in a 55 17 MPH over the limit. My first Speeder, So after I notice 1st mistake-the officer puts my correct lic# but puts NJ as my state. Second mistake-Then puts correct vehicle info but puts NJ as my state. Third mistake- Puts statute # as 39:4-98 which relates to vehicles 20 MPH and over and leaves Ordinance BLANK. Forth mistake-on the officer's signature he RE-wrote over part of his name and you can Clearly see all of this Perfectly on MY copy. Also he used Radar on a rainy day which I belive can be affected and is on the ticket for road conditions. Please Advise Thanks.
It never ceases to amaze me that people continue to believe that these minor hand written errors are automatic grounds for dismissal.

They aren't.

Your options?

1. Go to court on the date listed. If you feel so inclined, plead Not Guilty and proceed to trial. If you feel the need (and most people do) hire an attorney to help you with court proceedure and rules of evidence. The issues at trial will be limited to whether or not it was you, whether you were actually speeding, how the officer measured your speed, the certification of the device used to measure your speed, and the officer's training and/or certification to use the device.

-OR-

2. You could appear at the initial appearance, and accept responsibility for your driving, and take the deal that the prosecutor offers you.

Remember, Option 1 means that you take a day off work to come to court, (high probability that it'll be more than one) and maybe shell out some money for an attorney. You also have a better than even chance of losing and having to pay the full fine. The officer, on the other hand, will probably be paid overtime to attend the trial. At time-and-a-half. :cool:

Option 2 would probably mean only one appearance, and you'll probably be offered an amendment to a lesser charge, like a non-moving violation. You'll be given additional time to pay the fine, instead of having to pay it all before the court date. Some jurisdictions even offer payment plans, which are not offered if you are convicted as a result of trial.

Your choice.

EDIT: I recommend not using the fact that it was raining at the time of the offense. Instead of a basis to show that the radar was inaccurate, it would more likley be seen by the court as an aggravating factor in the offense. Something like this:

"You were doing 17 over the speed limit? And you were doing it in the RAIN? When visibility is limited, and the pavement is slick? That makes it even more dangerous"

Last edited:

bobw927

Thanks

Thank you, thats what I needed, I will go in and plead guilty and try to have it reduced I appreciate your response.

racer72

Rain does not affect the operation of radar devices, if it did airplanes could not fly in the rain either.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">