• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Framed for Speeding, Questionable Conviction: Logical & Factual Errors by Judge?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

andromat

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

An NYC borough, if this helps.

Hi there!

In early October of 2010 I was framed by a rookie (I assume) cop for doing 55 in a 40 mph zone. Didn't go nearly as fast, knew the cops were there (actually saw the police car sitting on the divider) as they often are on that stretch of the road, so was watching both my speed (relatively speaking) and the speedometer and know the exact reading. What happened was that a pick-up truck cut in front of me (cutting me off too) in the left lane of a four-lane street at the nearest to the cops intersection when all the cars were slowing down, coming to a stop at a red light, and, as the light turned green before we stopped, sped up and was steadily pulling away from me. I didn't think I had a worry in the world... lagging way behind that guy, in the head of a wave of cars. As the truck was passing the cops he swerved to the right... Wasn't surprised when the cops put their lights on and turned around (letting by the wave of cars that I mentioned), the surprise came when they pulled me (and I should mention that I was driving an easily identifiable cab) instead of that truck (which was already gone by the way.) I genuinely couldn’t understand what the matter was, had to wait till the cop came back with my license to tell me that I was speeding. When asked about the pick-up truck the cop replied that it was going slower than I was. (Which would contradict the law of physics, as I understand them.) When I looked at the ticket and saw 55 mph, I couldn’t believe my eyes. The funniest thing, and I’m used to these happening in my life, was that I had a passenger in my car who could have been an eyewitness on my behalf. Well, if the guy wasn’t blind.

In court I explained everything the best I could to the judge, mentioning that I knew that this street was often monitored and that one couldn’t make me go faster than 50 mph there. (About the usual speed that cars fly by on that part of the road.)

Anyway, the judge rules, and I quote now: “Based upon the evidence I find the charge has been established of fifty in a forty by clear and convincing evidence. I do make a finding of guilty as to fifty in a forty. The visual was fifty-five plus the minus five.” (50 wasn’t the speed that I was doing either, for the record.)

Then he goes on to look at my record and sees a previous conviction of doing 78 in a 50 in early June of 2009 and proceeds telling me (with the trial taking place in the middle of March of 2011) that if I were to get a third speed my license would be revoked. He tells me that he would issue a warning on my license, a letter that I would receive in the mail reminding me that I need to do much better because a third speed means revoked. (I don’t believe that I received that letter. Could have been lost in the mail, or could have been that he never sent it, realizing perhaps that the previous violation took place more than 18 months ago.)

I am in an appeal stage right now and need to submit my final arguments.

My main objection so far was that the actual speed that I was going with was never established in court. That’s besides the point that the speed that I was convicted for was higher than the one I was going with.

My biggest question is, if a radar was used and showed, presumably, 55, can a judge override it by simply saying “plus the minus five”? Or did he use my general statement of never going faster than 50 there as some kind of confession? The problem with that is that it clearly was a general statement: not going faster than 50 does not mean that I was going 50, as it implies any speed of 50 and below, even the legal one.

But also, did a judge make a factual mistake, overlooking the dates perhaps? I must say that I never had points on my license before and so am only now learning how the point system works. So it happens that the judge put me under a lot of stress, unnecessary perhaps, if the statement that he made about my overall record was false and factually incorrect.

I appreciate any help folks, and please ask questions if you need, I’ll try to answer those as soon as I can.

You Are Guilty

Good lord. You weren't "framed", you lost in court. And, if you were in NYC, you didn't even lose in court, you lost in the TVB, where just about everybody loses. The judge took the officer's visual + radar and found it credible at 50mph, well within his discretion. (He could have gone with 60mph as well, but probably found your testimony re: 50mph being the max in that area credible). So what is your appellate argument? "I didn't do it" is not going to work.

As for the points, here's the info straight from the horse's mouth:
http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/license.htm#points
http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/drp.htm

andromat

Yeah, I understand that “lost in court” in a nice catch phrase, but if I was charged with something that I didn’t do and was convicted of something slightly different that I didn’t do either, what does it mean really?

And I wasn’t framed? The cop charged me with the thing he knew I didn’t do and he also blatantly lied to me (about that truck). But let assume for a second that he made an honest mistake… Should I really care about this, is his delusion really my problem? (Well, it is now.) If anything he should have taken that possibility into consideration and give me the benefit of the doubt, me thinks. As a matter of fact, what are the possible legal actions against that cop that I can take? And I don’t intend to be too shy about this.

Jeez, the whole thing is like a cop dragging me off the streets for walking naked and then the judge finding me guilty and throwing me in jail for indeed being naked under my clothes.

Of course I was driving a vehicle at some speed. Shouldn’t the actual speed that I was going with be the thing that matters? And it was never established. (Nice guesswork there though, Judge: close, but no cigar!) And if it wasn’t 55 mph (and it wasn’t) why was I in the court (OK, in the hearing at TVB) in the first place? And the judge doesn’t mention radar in his judgement, does he take the officer’s presumed “visuals” (which I don’t believe were mentioned in the hearing) plus the minus 5 mph of his own discretion and overrides the radar precision with that? That’s legal? This is the Law?

I have some more questions and comments folks, I’ll be back with those later if you don’t mind.

Last edited:

Antigone*

Good lord. You weren't "framed", you lost in court. And, if you were in NYC, you didn't even lose in court, you lost in the TVB, where just about everybody loses. The judge took the officer's visual + radar and found it credible at 50mph, well within his discretion. (He could have gone with 60mph as well, but probably found your testimony re: 50mph being the max in that area credible). So what is your appellate argument? "I didn't do it" is not going to work.

As for the points, here's the info straight from the horse's mouth:
http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/license.htm#points
http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/drp.htm
He was framed, dog nabbit!!!!!:p That cop totally slammed his foot down on the accelerator using mind control and you know it, YAG!!!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Jeez, the whole thing is like a cop dragging me off the streets for walking naked and then the judge finding me guilty and throwing me in jail for indeed being naked under my clothes.
Nope, it's like the cop dragging you off the street for walking naked and then having you deny being totally naked because you were wearing socks. :rolleyes:

andromat

Nope, it's like the cop dragging you off the street for walking naked and then having you deny being totally naked because you were wearing socks. :rolleyes:
This may be so, but if the cop can't even see my socks, shouldn't he be retired with a nice pair of the "visual" aids, for the sake of the public safety and well-being?

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
In early October of 2010 I was framed by a rookie (I assume) cop
Rookie cops do not do speed enforcement. It was a very experienced officer.

watching both my speed (relatively speaking)
What does THAT mean? Sounds like the old "I was keeping up with the flow of traffic" defense.

(and I should mention that I was driving an easily identifiable cab)
Ah yes, you're all stellar drivers :eek:

In court I explained everything the best I could to the judge, mentioning that I knew that this street was often monitored and that one couldn’t make me go faster than 50 mph there. (About the usual speed that cars fly by on that part of the road.)
Totally irrelevant.

Then he goes on to look at my record and sees a previous conviction of doing 78 in a 50 in early June of 2009 and proceeds telling me (with the trial taking place in the middle of March of 2011) ...realizing perhaps that the previous violation took place more than 18 months ago.)
Doesn't matter when the trial is. That does not count.

I am in an appeal stage right now and need to submit my final arguments.
You mean only arguments. You file your paper work and wait. You cannot introduce any new evidence on appeal. You have to appeal based on what's on the record.

My main objection so far was that the actual speed that I was going with was never established in court. That’s besides the point that the speed that I was convicted for was higher than the one I was going with.
Well apparently it WAS established and the judge gave you a break.

But also, did a judge make a factual mistake, overlooking the dates perhaps?
What dates??

I must say that I never had points on my license before
You just said you had a prior speeding conviction! So, yes, you did have points!

So it happens that the judge put me under a lot of stress, unnecessary perhaps, if the statement that he made about my overall record was false and factually incorrect.
What are you talking about?

You Are Guilty

Yeah, I understand that “lost in court” in a nice catch phrase, but if I was charged with something that I didn’t do and was convicted of something slightly different that I didn’t do either, what does it mean really?
By my count, it means you lost in court. The TVB is not the guarantor of Truth, Justice and the American Way. The ALJs listen to both sides, pick the version they find most credible, and you're on your way. One guess whose version they tend to give more credence to? (Hint: Its the reason why most people lose at TVB hearings).

And I wasn’t framed? The cop charged me with the thing he knew I didn’t do and he also blatantly lied to me (about that truck). But let assume for a second that he made an honest mistake… Should I really care about this, is his delusion really my problem? (Well, it is now.) If anything he should have taken that possibility into consideration and give me the benefit of the doubt, me thinks. As a matter of fact, what are the possible legal actions against that cop that I can take? And I don’t intend to be too shy about this.
Obviously, the officer made a mistake. And, as you correctly note, whether it was intentional (unlikely) or negligent is rather immaterial now. You can file a complaint against the officer, but seeing as how the TVB agreed with the officer, and not your version, you'll just come off as a whack job. Otherwise, your other legal option is to appeal.
Of course I was driving a vehicle at some speed. Shouldn’t the actual speed that I was going with be the thing that matters? And it was never established. (Nice guesswork there though, Judge: close, but no cigar!) And if it wasn’t 55 mph (and it wasn’t) why was I in the court (OK, in the hearing at TVB) in the first place? And the judge doesn’t mention radar in his judgement, does he take the officer’s presumed “visuals” (which I don’t believe were mentioned in the hearing) plus the minus 5 mph of his own discretion and overrides the radar precision with that? That’s legal? This is the Law?
I wasn't at the hearing; I have no idea what was actually said. Nor have I read the decision. But how these usually go is the officer says, On so-and-so Date at so-and-so Time, I observed so-and-so Speeder traveling down so-and-so Street. Upon observing the vehicle, I visually estimated Speeder's speed to be XYZmph. I then clocked Speeder with so-and-so Radar Unit which indicated a speed of XYZmph. I then proceeded to stop the vehicle and, without losing sight of it, issued this citation. Then they get to talk about how they are qualified by NYPD to do visual speed estimates, and, either voluntarily or upon prompting by the ALJ, discuss their radar training.

Speeder then gets up and will cross the officer, usually asking silly questions like what the weather or traffic conditions were. Then they usually get up and testify that "It wasn't me, couldn't possibly be me, I never go faster than 8mph".

In any event, like I said, you can appeal, but you have to have some sort of basis other than "I didn't do it" if you want any chance of success.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
In any event, like I said, you can appeal, but you have to have some sort of basis other than "I didn't do it" if you want any chance of success.
It doesn't sound like there is any basis for an appeal here. Unless the Appeals Board finds something on their own they don't like.

andromat

Sorry for the delay: been busy dealing with that “hurricane” thing, its aftermath, and all the other stuff that never fails to come up when you need it least. Have to move very fast on this one now though…

Must be my inferior English to blame for all those questions that I feel have been answered already or covered somewhat anyway, but again, if anyone with a bit of a competence and an apprehension could please tell me how many points I had in the middle of March of 2011 when the Judge told me that I could have no more or I’d lose my license, based on these dates:

Early June 2009 – 6 point violation with a subsequent conviction. I believe that I had special circumstances, which I tried to explain to the judge, but fair enough, never appealed.

Middle of October 2010 – an alleged 3 point violation that I am trying to fight now.

My take is 3, as those two were past their timeslot of being combined, but then again, I think I’ve seen a reference that 18 month rule wasn’t cut in stone (It might have rather referred to the conviction record expiration though, as I was unable to find it again.) So, could it be that the Judge was factually wrong on that one? And if so indeed, can I use this as a base for the appeal, questioning… his judgement, you know?

Or, to make it more useful to everyone, could anyone please comment on the NY DMV example:

You are convicted of a 3-point violation and the violation occurred on January 1, 2009. You are later convicted of a 4-point violation that occurred on July 1, 2010. Your point total includes the points from both violations, because they both occurred with a single 18-month period. Your point total is 7 points.

That is 18 month day-to-day I believe, so what is the point total on the day following that very day: July 2, 2010 namely?

Coincidentally, I think that I solved the mystery of the 55 mph charge: in a addition to being a round number (how convenient), it is also considered to be a serious violation (15 over the posted speed limit) – three of those in as many years and I am out, as I have CDL. That scumbag cop knew exactly what he was doing as he was so going for my throat. I also think that the judge saw through his foul game and knocked that sh!t down.

Have to run now, will be back with more questions later today.

andromat

The License Suspension Question

Meanwhile, I have been notified that my license was suspended for non-payment of the fine while I’m awaiting for the appeal court. Am I wrong in my understanding that a payment of the fine would constitute an admittance of guilt? I understand that if I win the appeal my suspension will be lifted, but what happens if I pay now in order to lift the suspension, as I need to find another driving job asap, and later win my case? Will I get a refund? Will the case even go to the appeal court or be dropped before it gets there? Middle of September is my deadline to submit my arguments to the court, how long after that can I expect the decision anyway? What happens if I lose, will I be given a grace period to pay my fine in order for be to be notified of the appeal court decision? And what is exactly my legals status now, in case I get pulled over?

OHRoadwarrior

Your status is suspended. No insurance for your car, yourself or your passengers. Obviously another example of your stellar ability. What did you say that car number was? You don't drive for 4Aces I hope. I want to live.

andromat

Your status is suspended. No insurance for your car, yourself or your passengers. Obviously another example of your stellar ability. What did you say that car number was? You don't drive for 4Aces I hope. I want to live.
My stellar ability? What exactly are you referring to?

Have been drinking tonight, officer?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">