• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Front license plate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

curt7974

What is the name of your state? Ohio

A friend of mine has a Camaro and in order to mount a front license plate on his car he will have to drill holes through the front end of his car. In Ohio the registration and instructions you get with your license plates instructs you to put one on the back and front of your car (however the registration stickers only go on the back plate). Is it a law in Ohio to have the license plate on the front of your car? Can an officer pull you over for not having the front plate mounted? If it is a law, is it flexible enough for you to just place it on you front dash board ( like I sometimes see people display their rear plate in a rear window )?

Thanks!:cool:

JETX

"in order to mount a front license plate on his car he will have to drill holes through the front end of his car."
*** EVERY domestic car manufactured in the last 25 years (or so) has the provision for a front license plate mount. I would suggest that he look at his car again.

"Is it a law in Ohio to have the license plate on the front of your car?"
*** Yes.

"Can an officer pull you over for not having the front plate mounted?"
*** Yes.

"If it is a law, is it flexible enough for you to just place it on you front dash board ( like I sometimes see people display their rear plate in a rear window )?"
*** Only temporarily.

From the Ohio State Patrol:
"Currently, 31 states have both a front and a rear license plate. Two states (Connecticut and Massachusetts) have recently returned to using two license plates. The Connecticut Legislature passed a law in 1999 requiring all vehicles to display both front and rear license plates.

Every national, and most state law enforcement groups support the use of front and rear license plates. National law enforcement studies have determined that police cars approach more vehicles than are followed making the front license plate a critical and effective identification tool.

Newspaper articles reveal how crimes are reported and solved when citizens and law enforcement officers identify vehicles based upon their license plates. Having front and rear license plates increases the likelihood these citizens and law enforcement officers will identify vehicles in their every day responsibilities.

Front license plates enhance the effectiveness of many new technologies used by law enforcement. For example, the use laser speed enforcement is dramatically improved because a front license plate that is reflective provides an ideal target. Front plates are also used in video surveillance at weigh stations, intersections and toll roads.

All citizens benefit from the use of front and rear license plates. On a dark rural road, a fully reflective license plate on a parked car or abandoned vehicle will most likely be the only warning to oncoming motorists at night."

And finally, the OH Code:
"§ 4503.21 Display of license plates and validation stickers or temporary placard or windshield sticker.
No person who is the owner or operator of a motor vehicle shall fail to display in plain view on the front and rear of the motor vehicle the distinctive number and registration mark, including any county identification sticker and any validation sticker issued under sections 4503.19 and 4503.191 [4503.19.1] of the Revised Code, furnished by the director of public safety, except that a manufacturer of motor vehicles or dealer therein, the holder of an in transit permit, and the owner or operator of a motorcycle, motorized bicycle, manufactured home, mobile home, trailer, or semitrailer shall display on the rear only. A motor vehicle that is issued two license plates shall display the validation sticker only on the rear license plate, except that a commercial tractor that does not receive an apportioned license plate under the international registration plan shall display the validation sticker on the front of the commercial tractor. An apportioned vehicle receiving an apportioned license plate under the international registration plan shall display the license plate only on the front of a commercial tractor and on the rear of all other vehicles. All license plates shall be securely fastened so as not to swing, and shall not be covered by any material that obstructs their visibility."

B

BlueStructure

I guess I better put that front plate on after all huh? I do see alot of vehicles with front plates in the sitting in the dash in MD. I havent had a front plate in like 2 years, Ive never had a prob and an trooper never mentioned it when i was pulled over last summer. *shrugs*

B

BlueStructure

I just read what i wrote. It dont make much sense. LOL I know, its 345am....

tennisbuff

Front License Plates In Ohio

I just went to court last week when my daughter in Oxford Ohio (going to school there) was cited for no front license plate. The front plate was displayed in the windshield. We have moved to Ohio from Indiana where no front plate was required and did not have the front bumper bracket to display. Oxford Police are ticket happy and one lawyer mentioned writing tickets in Oxford Ohio is a "cottage industry". We decided to fight the ticket with a Judge who knows nothing but "guilty" (Judge Lyons). We cited that Ohio Revised Code 4503.21 (display of ft. plates) bascially says the plate must be on the front of the vehicle, not obscured and not swinging. No defination of front. Then under ORC 4511.01 "defination" there is NO defination of front. I told the judge that in the automobile industry anything from the windshiled forward is considered the front of the vehicle (I work in that industry) and we were in full compliance of the law. He looked at the statutes I mentioned and said "I agree, Not Guilty". The law is very unclear on what FRONT is. While it was only a $135 fine, we felt we were in the right and it turned out he agreed. One lawyer told us when leaving (we defended ourselves) "you ought to be doing cartwheels, that (not guilty) almost NEVER happens in that court".
I thought I'd pass this along and maybe help someone in the future.

JETX

tennisbuff said:
I thought I'd pass this along and maybe help someone in the future.
And why do you think your whiney crap is relevant on a thread that is over TWO AND A HALF YEARS OLD????
Buy a calendar

Last edited by a moderator:

CdwJava

Of course, had there been a representative from the state present they could have argued that having the plate behind the front windshield DID obscure it due to angle, reflection, tinting, etc.

That was a lucky, unopposed win.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">