• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

GA Move Over Law 40-6-16

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MattTrax

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? GA

Here is the actual law I am accused of violating:
"
a. The operator of a motor vehicle approaching a stationary authorized emergency vehicle that is displaying flashing yellow, amber, white, red, or blue lights shall approach the authorized emergency vehicle with due caution and shall, absent any other direction by a peace officer, proceed as follows:

1. Make a lane change into a lane not adjacent to the authorized emergency vehicle if possible in the existing safety and traffic conditions; or

2. If a lane change under paragraph (1) of this subsection would be impossible, prohibited by law, or unsafe, reduce the speed of the motor vehicle to a reasonable and proper speed for the existing road and traffic conditions, which speed shall be less than the posted speed limit, and be prepared to stop.
"

Background: Several officers were running a "speed-trap" on I-85. They were on the shoulder of the highway, sort of hidden where the highway makes a big turn. They did not have their lights on as is required in section A. It was also 4:30pm in Atlanta, around the time rush hour begins.

My argument is that they were running a speed trap, the execution of which depends on their ability to reduce their visibility to the drivers. There wouldn't have been multiple officers there if they weren't (also a quick internet search showed that this was in fact a common speed-trap).

I drive in the right hand lane so that I can drive the speed limit, 55mph, and not get run over by other motorists. It was rush hour so by the time I noticed that it was an emergency vehicle, checked mirror / blind spot, started slowing down, I had already passed him.

I am planning to use the following images to support my claim that it was impossible to see them:
ImageShack -

Obviously I will present this much more eloquently in court, but is it even a good argument? I feel like I am proving that I did not violate the word or spirit of the law, but wondering if what little evidence there is proves that. What would you do to present it well / make it better?

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:

MattTrax

I don't care that they were running a speed trap. I think that people who speed excessively should be punished.

The fact that they were running one, though, should mean that they did their best to hide themselves or make it so you wouldn't see them until the last possible moment. With no lights on, limited visibility as to what was ahead, and rush hour traffic, how could anyone move over a lane or know to slow down before it was too late?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">